Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default auto filling relative worksheet references

I think I might be missing something simple, here...

I have 13 worksheets labeled jan-03 to dec-03 and 'totals for 03'.

On the totals sheet I have a list of months in the first column and next to
each month I want to carry over a total for each month's sheet. (I'm
simplifying this a little as I have a number of totals on each month's sheet
to carry over).

It's getting very tedious typing in every 3d cell reference and I wanted to
use autofill. Can autofill update a worksheet reference from cell to cell as
it would a cell reference on the same sheet e.g. I start on a cell
containing '=jan-03!$A$1' and as I grab the handle and pull down over 11
additional cells each fills with '=feb-03!A$!$' etc?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John,

Here is an example that assumes that A2:A13 on 'totals-03' holds the values
jan, feb, etc, and picks up the values from A1 on the monthly sheets

=INDIRECT("'"&A2&"-03'!A1")

just copy down, and build to suit

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

use the indirect function and build the reference with a formula

=indirect(format(Date(2003,row(A1),1)."mmm-yy" & "!A1"))

row(A1) is used to generate an integer (1 to 12) to indicate the month.

Tom Ogilvy