Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default New Data Type - Latitude and Longitude Calculations

I wish to use excel to solve navigational problems. Although the use of
hours minutes and seconds provides the correct maths, I am unable to use
either negative quantities or to format the angles correctly. For example,
the latitude of 52º 12'.50N, which is 52 degrees, 12 minutes and 30 seconds
North can only be displayed as 52º 12' 33", which though correct from a
mathematical point of view is not in keeping with current practice for
writing latitude. A similar problem exists with longitude.

If I were writing this application using C++ I would write my own class
defining the data structurs and overloading the required operators. In
effect I wish to extend the data classes that excel can recognise and
handle - any ideas greatfully received.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Peter,

Chip has an entire page devoted to Latitude and Longitude.
You should find what you're looking for he

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

John

"Peter M" wrote in message
I wish to use excel to solve navigational problems. Although the use of
hours minutes and seconds provides the correct maths, I am unable to use
either negative quantities or to format the angles correctly. For

example,
the latitude of 52º 12'.50N, which is 52 degrees, 12 minutes and 30

seconds
North can only be displayed as 52º 12' 33", which though correct from a
mathematical point of view is not in keeping with current practice for
writing latitude. A similar problem exists with longitude.

If I were writing this application using C++ I would write my own class
defining the data structurs and overloading the required operators. In
effect I wish to extend the data classes that excel can recognise and
handle - any ideas greatfully received.

Peter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John,

Many thanks for that, but much of what is on Chip's page I have already
implemented. It still leaves me struggling to format the number in the form
normally understood by navigators, though this could be achieved by string
manipulation it wouldn't allow the data to be input in the same way.
Additionally, Chip doesn't provide any advice on how to cope with -ve
angles, ie the South and East quadrants?

I realise the solution might be complicate, but any pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter