Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Comparing Ranges in two worksheets

I would like to compare ranges in two different worksheets (actually in two
different workbooks.) I want to select the cells of one sheet that are
different from the other.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jeff

Here's one way to do it:

I have called the two files File1.xls and File2.xls,
and they are both in the folder
F:\Documents\Excel\Test
Alter pathname, filenames and sheetnames (here Sheet1)
to reflect the actual setup.

1. Create a new workbook and save it as CheckSheet.xls
2. In CheckSheet Sheet1!A1 enter the formula

=IF('F:\Documents\Excel\Test\[File1.xls]Sheet1'!A1=
'F:\Documents\Excel\Test\[File2.xls]Sheet1'!A1,"")

3. Copy A1 to all cells mirroring used cells in Sheet1 in File1.xls and
File2.xls

The cells in CheckSheet.xls, where a discrepancy exists
in the matching cells in File1.xls and File2.xls, will show "False"

--
Best Regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"JeffFinnan" skrev i en meddelelse
I would like to compare ranges in two different worksheets (actually in

two
different workbooks.) I want to select the cells of one sheet that are
different from the other.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Leo,

I will give something along this a try. I was hoping there there was some range
compare trick that I did not know of.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have called the two files File1.xls and File2.xls,
and they are both in the folder
F:\Documents\Excel\Test
Alter pathname, filenames and sheetnames (here Sheet1)
to reflect the actual setup.

1. Create a new workbook and save it as CheckSheet.xls
2. In CheckSheet Sheet1!A1 enter the formula

=IF('F:\Documents\Excel\Test\[File1.xls]Sheet1'!A1=
'F:\Documents\Excel\Test\[File2.xls]Sheet1'!A1,"")

3. Copy A1 to all cells mirroring used cells in Sheet1 in File1.xls and
File2.xls

The cells in CheckSheet.xls, where a discrepancy exists
in the matching cells in File1.xls and File2.xls, will show "False"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You're welcome, Jeff.

A user in a Danish user group
recommended making csv-files of the
two sheets, and then use a tool like
CompareIt to do the rest.
I am not familiar with the program,
but you can investigate further at the site
http://www.grigsoft.com/wincmp.htm

--
Best Regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"JeffFinnan" skrev i en meddelelse
Leo,

I will give something along this a try. I was hoping there there was some

range
compare trick that I did not know of.

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jeff

You could download 'compare.xla' from Ozgrid.com which does precisely what you want.

Mike