Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can't open an Excel document

I created an Excel workbook and it has been fine until now. When I click on it, Excel either attempts to read it and then quits. I tried to open Excel first, then File Open, same thing happens. Any sugguestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel 2002/2003 has a repair facility. Try opening it in one of those
versions.

download the free OpenOffice/install it and use that to open it.

Tom Ogilvy

Winekno wrote in message
I created an Excel workbook and it has been fine until now. When I click

on it, Excel either attempts to read it and then quits. I tried to open
Excel first, then File Open, same thing happens. Any sugguestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Addl Question for Tom Oglivy:
When you say Excel has a repair facility, what does that mean and how do I activiate it? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I said xl version 2002 and 2003 have a repair facility. It is an option in
the file = open dialog as I recall. (although if you just try to open the
document, it should start automatically - if it doesn't, that is when you
may have to initiate it manually).

xl2000 and earlier version do not have such a facility.

Tom Ogilvy

Winekno wrote in message
Addl Question for Tom Oglivy:
When you say Excel has a repair facility, what does that mean and how do I

activiate it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to add...

If you click on the arrow on the Open button in the File|Open dialog, you can
select "open and repair".

I've never done it this way, 'cause xl2002 was always smart enough to know I
needed it repaired--like Tom said.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Winekno!

Try:

File Open
Navigate to and select the file
Click on down pointing arrow on the open button
Select "Open and Repair"

It does a remarkable job of repairing or at least retriving as much as
it can of a corrupted file.

Most often though simply trying to open in Excel 2002 and 2003 will
succeed in opening a corrupted file.

If you have made a practice of working on the file from a floppy disc,
then this is the most likely cause of the corruption. Never work from
a floppy disc. Use Explorer to save to hard drive and work on that
copy and save to the hard drive. Then you can copy back to floppy.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.
"Winekno" wrote in message
Addl Question for Tom Oglivy:
When you say Excel has a repair facility, what does that mean and

how do I activiate it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello
I downloaded Open Office, and ran the spreadsheet application. I tried to open the file and got an error msg that said that it couldnt open it because it was an incorrect file format. This was very disappointing

I also tried to go back to Excel and do a file open, and clicking on the down arrow for repair file but I don't have that option. The down arrow only gives me the following choices: Open, Open Read only, Open cop

Any further suggestions on either of the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Norman
Sorry but I don't have that option. When I click on the down arrow, the choices a Open, Open REad only, Open copy
Any other ideas? I need a drink...:) only kidding.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure someone hasn't opened the document in word and done a save. Try
opening it in word and see what you get. If this has happended, it is
probably worthless as an excel file.

Tom Ogilvy

winekno wrote in message
Hello:
I downloaded Open Office, and ran the spreadsheet application. I tried to

open the file and got an error msg that said that it couldnt open it because
it was an incorrect file format. This was very disappointing.

I also tried to go back to Excel and do a file open, and clicking on the

down arrow for repair file but I don't have that option. The down arrow
only gives me the following choices: Open, Open Read only, Open copy

Any further suggestions on either of the above would be greatly

appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You would be doing your experimenting and recovery working
with a copy of the file, I hope.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ah, Ok, that's why. SOL on that one because I don't have the newer version of Excel. I did download Open Office but it can't read the file either--get an error msg that it is not the correct file format. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this on Open Office? thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom:
Ok, it worked when I opened it from Word. This is most promising. Now, is there anyway to save it back as an Excel file format? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, but it might be an indication that that is how it got screwed up.

You can copy the data from word and paste it back into excel and reconstruct
the file as best you can.

Tom Ogilvy

Winekno wrote in message
Hi Tom:
Ok, it worked when I opened it from Word. This is most promising. Now, is

there anyway to save it back as an Excel file format? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unfortunately, only the main file, not a copy as it is corrupted and can't seem to open in Excel. I did copy the file into Excel from word and will have to recreate the formulas. It seems to allow me to convert one page at a time from the corrupted workbook. At least I havent lost the data. Thank god!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Using the Command Window (DOS window) use XCOPY
to copy the file. Or copy and paste the file from the directory.
You want to work from a copy of the file, not the original.
Once you open/close the file in Word it definitely will be
[further] corrupted.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...p.htm#recovery

---
HTH,

"Winekno" wrote in message ...
Unfortunately, only the main file, not a copy as it is corrupted and can't seem to open in Excel. I did copy the file into Excel

from word and will have to recreate the formulas. It seems to allow me to convert one page at a time from the corrupted workbook.
At least I havent lost the data. Thank god!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Once you open/close the file in Word it definitely will be
[further] corrupted.

I believe David actually meant to say open/save/close
just opening and closing shouldn't be problematic - it is the saving from
word that does the damage.

Tom Ogilvy

"Winekno" wrote in message

Unfortunately, only the main file, not a copy as it is corrupted and

can't seem to open in Excel. I did copy the file into Excel
from word and will have to recreate the formulas. It seems to allow me to

convert one page at a time from the corrupted workbook.
At least I havent lost the data. Thank god!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes but practically anything causes a file to be changed
like the current date, and making sure that you don't
autosave or save it accidentally is not such a sure thing.