Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default User Defined Function description

Previous to Excel 2003, you could provide a basic
description of a user-defined function that would appear
in the Insert Function dialog. This was done by going
into the object browser and selecting the function then
selecting properties (member options) and typeing in the
description.

Under Excel 2003, if you do this the description is
thrown away. I have tried this on several installations
of 2003 and all are the same. Is this by design or is it
a bug?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Richard!

The same system is used for Excel 2003

Tools Macros Macro
Type in the name of the UDF
Give a description
OK
Cancel

Just a couple of points.

First, you won't be able to access the option unless the project is
unprotected first.
Second, after inserting the description, you must go back into the VBE
and save the project if its in a XLA. If you don't, you'll lose the
description

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.
"Richard" wrote in message
Previous to Excel 2003, you could provide a basic
description of a user-defined function that would appear
in the Insert Function dialog. This was done by going
into the object browser and selecting the function then
selecting properties (member options) and typeing in the
description.

Under Excel 2003, if you do this the description is
thrown away. I have tried this on several installations
of 2003 and all are the same. Is this by design or is it
a bug?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Could you please try the suggestion he
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?hl...D2AC%40free.fr

Application.MacroOptions "Myfunction", "This is my function."

Please advise if this works?

"Richard" wrote in message
Previous to Excel 2003, you could provide a basic
description of a user-defined function that would appear
in the Insert Function dialog. This was done by going
into the object browser and selecting the function then
selecting properties (member options) and typeing in the
description.

Under Excel 2003, if you do this the description is
thrown away. I have tried this on several installations
of 2003 and all are the same. Is this by design or is it
a bug?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, that does not work.
The only way for the function to appear in the macro list
is if you create it with Record New Macro. But if I do
that I get a Sub not a function. Changing it to function
removes it from the macro list so that the description
cannot be applied.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob that works like a charm - many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Richard!

Can't think what you're doing differently but I tested on both an
Addin and a new function in a workbook module and both descriptions
were retained after Excel was closed and re-opened.