Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Easiest way to add functionality to ALL Excel spreadsheets

Hello

In Word I can create a template which contains a macro and save this file in
the Word Startup directory so that the macro functionality is available to
all Word documents.

What options do I have for doing the same thing in Excel?

Angus Comber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Angus, save the macro to your personal.xls file, it will be available to all
workbooks then.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 97 & 2000

"Angus Comber" wrote in message
Hello

In Word I can create a template which contains a macro and save this file

in
the Word Startup directory so that the macro functionality is available to
all Word documents.

What options do I have for doing the same thing in Excel?

Angus Comber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Angus

Create a hidden file called personal.xls in your xlStart folder and put the
code in here

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

Angus Comber wrote:
Hello

In Word I can create a template which contains a macro and save this
file in the Word Startup directory so that the macro functionality is
available to all Word documents.

What options do I have for doing the same thing in Excel?

Angus Comber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I want to deploy this as part of a software package.

I have looked at Add-in and wondered if this was the way to go?

I am not sure the personal.xls route would be the easiest to deploy as a
package.

Anyone any comments?

Angus

Angus Comber wrote:
Hello

In Word I can create a template which contains a macro and save this
file in the Word Startup directory so that the macro functionality is
available to all Word documents.

What options do I have for doing the same thing in Excel?

Angus Comber

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Angus

My preference is an Add-in.

Easiest to use and does not interfere with users' existing Personal.xls.

Also Functions can be called directly without prefacing with the workbook
name.

i.e. =MyFunction(a1) as opposed to =Personal.xls!MyFunction(a1)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP