Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default SendKeys problem

I'm having trouble with the SendKeys command in Excel 2002 (Win2k). I
am trying to send commnands to a Win2k dialogue box (Power Option
Properties), but the SendKeys command "^(TAB)" does not change tabs in
the dialogue box like it does when typed manually on the keyboard.
(According to Excel VBA help, "^(TAB)" = Ctrl+Tab). I have tried
numerous other Sendkeys commands, but none of them act like Ctrl+Tab.
Does anyone know how I can change tabs in a windows dialogue box using
SendKeys? Or how I can get Win2k to interpret SendKeys commands
"correctly"? Failing that, does anyone know how to turn hibernate on
and off using an Excel macro?

Part of my simple script:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys "^{ESC}", True 'presses the Start button
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "{DOWN}", True 'highlights a link to Power Option
'Properties
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}", True 'opens Power Option Properties
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:02")
WshShell.SendKeys "^{TAB}", True 'problem is here, this does NOT
'switch tabs within the dialogue box!

Any help greatly appreciated ... Many thanks,

Rod Armour
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rod,
I have no idea why SendKeys daes not work.
But I think SendKeys solution is insecure.
If you wuld like to handle "LOG OFF", "REBOOT" or "SHUTDOWN", please
try this code.

http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/puremis/colo/code/048.htm

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply Colo -- wow, that's an impressive code! However,
I finally found the problem with SendKeys. Control commands like "Tab"
have to be typed in brackets (this is NOT mentioned in Excel VBA
help!). So, to send Crtl+Tab requires the command

SendKeys "(^{TAB})"

That solved the problem.

Another link gave me the answer
http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....707/qid/717062

These comments were also helpful:
http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/t...tm#VisualBasic)

So here's a simple code that will turn hibernate on and off in Win2k
WITH a shortcut to "Power Options Properties" placed topmost on the
Start menu:

Sub HibernateOnOff()

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys "^{ESC}", True
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "{DOWN}", True
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}", True
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:02")
WshShell.SendKeys "(^{TAB})", True 'This was the "trick"!
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "(^{TAB})", True
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "%H", True
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "%A", True
Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
WshShell.SendKeys "(%{F4})", True

End Sub

It's not very elegant, but it works. I may still use your code 048 to
reenter hibernatation (after re-enabling it). I'll work on the problem
later today. But the sendkeys issue is resolved by bracketing the
control commands.

Thanks again for the help! I'll post another note here later
describing the final result.

Rod

Colo wrote in message ...
Hi Rod,
I have no idea why SendKeys daes not work.
But I think SendKeys solution is insecure.
If you wuld like to handle "LOG OFF", "REBOOT" or "SHUTDOWN", please
try this code.

http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/puremis/colo/code/048.htm

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Yo Yo is offline

Can you handle a Lock Computer?

"Colo" wrote in message
Hi Rod,
I have no idea why SendKeys daes not work.
But I think SendKeys solution is insecure.
If you wuld like to handle "LOG OFF", "REBOOT" or "SHUTDOWN", please
try this code.

http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/puremis/colo/code/048.htm

---

SendKeys syntax problem VBAvirgin New Users to Excel 2 January 4th 06 04:42 PM
Sendkeys GB[_3_] Excel Programming 0 September 16th 03 10:39 PM
SendKeys and Path Problem rdcord Excel Programming 3 September 11th 03 06:12 PM
SendKeys Ron de Bruin Excel Programming 3 August 25th 03 10:21 PM
sendkeys mark poole Excel Programming 0 July 11th 03 03:47 PM