Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default If..then..Lookup?

No idea if this is the right place to post this, but giving it a shot...Apologize for all the wasted space, but I'm a visual learner and it's the only way I know to explain my problem :)

WORKSHEET1:

A1 B1 C1
10/13 10/16 This row=date of assignment
Project Essay This row=assignment name

Student1 80 95
Student2 75 80

WORKSHEET2:
A1 B1 C1 D1 E1...
10/13 10/14 10/15 10/16 10/17 This row=dates of school year

Student1 80 95
Student2 75 80

(A32) Project Essay

I input grades and their dates on Worksheet 1. Worksheet 2 lists all the working days of the school year, as well as grades on the same dates they were given (listed in Worksheet 1). Row #32 on Worksheet 2 gives the name of the test/assignment..(Silly state department standards). I would like to be able to input the assignments and grades on worksheet one and Worksheet 2 would automatically be updated with the data on the same date. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way:

Assume only one assignment per day.

In Sheet2, Cell B2:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B$1,Sheet1!$1:$1,FALSE)), "",
VLOOKUP($A2,Sheet1!$A:$Z,MATCH(B$1,Sheet1!$1:$1,FA LSE),FALSE))

Copy down and across as far as necessary (if you have more than 26
grades, extend the Sheet1!$A:$Z reference to suit).

In B32:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B$1,Sheet1!$1:$1,FALSE)), "",
INDEX(Sheet1!$2:$2,MATCH(B$1,Sheet1!$1:$1,FALSE)))

Copy across as far as necessary.

In article ,
Robbyn wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

J.E.

Thank you soooo much! First formula worked like a charm. I'm getting a #ref error on the second one, but I'll play with it some to figure out why :

I started this gradesheet to make my life and the lives of my faculty easier, but it seems the simple stuff I want to do aren't so simple. I've gained a whole new repect for programmers after tackling this little project

Have a happy holiday.