Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Lost Menu Bar

Hi to everybody,
Using Excel XP, the menu bar has disappeared and will not return. I have
reset the toolbars to no avail. I have also 'repaired' Excel to no avail.
I understand that I need to use customise toolbars to re-enable the
Worksheet menu bar, however it is not there, neither is the chart menu
selection! I have searched the machine for my .xlb file as I understand
that deleting that file will cause Excel to recreate a new file with the
standards settings.

In the absence of any .xlb file and no menu's, can anyone suggest a way
forward please? I am loathe to reinstall Excel as that ends up messing
Outlook and other programs up as well.

Cheers,
Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi again,
Just for info of any others who get this problem. I finally found the file
but it was named Excel10, least I think this is it. I deleted Excel10
(heart stopping moment) and my menus returned! No sign it was the .xlb file
but the search for *.xlb found nothing else other than this file.

Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mickey

You have.......

Right-clicked on any Toolbar and CustomizeToolbars but found no Worksheet
Menu Bar to reset? Nor any Chart Toolbar?

Searched your Computer for *.XLB with settings to unhide all extensions and
search hidden files also?

I find it difficult to believe that you have used Excel without generating an
*.XLB file.

Another option.......

Hit ALT + F11 to open visual basic editor.

ViewImmediate Window. Copy and paste this line in then hit ENTER.

Application.CommandBars(1).Reset

ALT + F11 to go back to Excel to see if Worksheet Menu Bar visible.

Gord Dibben XL2002

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 00:48:34 -0000, "Mickey"
wrote:

Hi to everybody,
Using Excel XP, the menu bar has disappeared and will not return. I have
reset the toolbars to no avail. I have also 'repaired' Excel to no avail.
I understand that I need to use customise toolbars to re-enable the
Worksheet menu bar, however it is not there, neither is the chart menu
selection! I have searched the machine for my .xlb file as I understand
that deleting that file will cause Excel to recreate a new file with the
standards settings.

In the absence of any .xlb file and no menu's, can anyone suggest a way
forward please? I am loathe to reinstall Excel as that ends up messing
Outlook and other programs up as well.

Cheers,
Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good deal.

If your Windows ToolsFolder OptionsView settings are set to "hide known file
extensions" you won't see the extensions(as you found out).

Excel10.xlb is the correct file.

Gord Dibben XL2002

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 01:10:28 -0000, "Mickey"
wrote:

Hi again,
Just for info of any others who get this problem. I finally found the file
but it was named Excel10, least I think this is it. I deleted Excel10
(heart stopping moment) and my menus returned! No sign it was the .xlb file
but the search for *.xlb found nothing else other than this file.

Mickey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Gord, all well now,

Mickey