Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel XP Macro Loading Problem

Help! I wrote a vba macro for Excel XP, ran it (and it ran without
problems), saved the spreadsheet, exited Excel and later reloaded the
spreadsheet - but now while loading the spreadsheet, Excel crashes! When
Excel "recovers" the spreadsheet it deletes the VBA code.

Deactivating the Macro doesn't help. Is there someway of retrieving the
code? There is a lot of data in there I do not want to re-enter.

Thanks in Advance,
Perry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

%P*Rr&^ wrote:
Help! I wrote a vba macro for Excel XP, ran it (and it ran without
problems), saved the spreadsheet, exited Excel and later reloaded the
spreadsheet - but now while loading the spreadsheet, Excel crashes!

You;ve tried holiding down the shift key while opening, to prevent
Auto_Open macros from running?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

a few people have reported success using OpenOffice to
open their workbooks and recover both the worksheet stuff and macro stuff.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So this is not an unknown problem? Does anyone know if it could be related
to locking the spreadsheet. 'Cause that's the last thing I did and I may
not have tested the macro's before saving and shutting down Excel. I'll
check out OpenOffice.

%P*Rr&^ wrote:
Help! I wrote a vba macro for Excel XP, ran it (and it ran without
problems), saved the spreadsheet, exited Excel and later reloaded

the
spreadsheet - but now while loading the spreadsheet, Excel crashes!

You;ve tried holiding down the shift key while opening, to prevent
Auto_Open macros from running?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've protected lots of worksheets and lots of workbooks and never had this
problem--so I don't think it's directly related to the these.

But a butterfly flaps its wings in Ecuador and we have rain 3 days later (so who
knows anything for sure <vbg).

%P*Rr&^ wrote:
Help! I wrote a vba macro for Excel XP, ran it (and it ran without
problems), saved the spreadsheet, exited Excel and later reloaded

the
spreadsheet - but now while loading the spreadsheet, Excel crashes!

You;ve tried holiding down the shift key while opening, to prevent
Auto_Open macros from running?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Perry,

Help! I wrote a vba macro for Excel XP, ran it (and it ran without
problems), saved the spreadsheet, exited Excel and later reloaded the
spreadsheet - but now while loading the spreadsheet, Excel crashes! When
Excel "recovers" the spreadsheet it deletes the VBA code.

Deactivating the Macro doesn't help. Is there someway of retrieving the
code? There is a lot of data in there I do not want to re-enter.

I've found that Excel 2000 and Excel XP are good at opening each-other's
workbooks when this opens-then-crashes occurs. I.e. if opening in Excel
2000 crashes, Excel XP will open it fine and vice-versa. So you might want
to try opening it in a different version of Excel, if you have access to
them.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for all the help but I'm afraid none of it worked. I mentioned I'd
saved an old version that worked. When I got back to the office today I
checked and it was more complete then I remembered - just some forms needed
to be changed, a little code rewritten, the spreadsheet formatted and locked
up and after I'd done that and saved it and checked it and double checked
it, everything worked and then ------ I added the final feature - the spell
checker! And the same thing happened. I guess somehow that's what the
problem is, either a bug in VBA or in the way I enacted the CheckSpelling
method.
I had done everything everyone else suggested (with the exception of
OpenOffice). We tried opening it in Excel 2000 and it still crashed. I
could not open the spreadsheet so could not export modules, and in general,
I had tried everything I could think of.

Thanks to everyone,
Perry.

"Stephen Bullen" wrote in message
Hi Perry,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

%P*Rr&^ wrote:
I added the final feature - the spell
checker! And the same thing happened. I guess somehow that's what the
problem is, either a bug in VBA or in the way I enacted the CheckSpelling
method.

Do you have a very large module?
I am wondering if you are pushing it over some size limit and that is what
is causing the loading of the workbook to fail.
If so, try splitting the module into 2 or more parts and see if you can
then add the CheckSpelling stuff OK.

You might also try using Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner
(from http://www.BMSLtd.co.uk/mvp )

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi %P*Rr&^,

I added the final feature - the spell
checker! And the same thing happened. I guess somehow that's what the
problem is, either a bug in VBA or in the way I enacted the CheckSpelling
method.

Just out of interest, could you send me the offending copy? (Zipped please)

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com