Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Set up an Ordering facility for a Buying Dept

Would appreciate general guidance/comment for the following
possibility, please:

I've been asked if I could set up a facility to 'standardise' the
way in which users on a small peer to peer network place
their purchase orders......currently each user has developed
their own, individual system!

If this hasn't been done before, then my initial thoughts are as
follows:

1. Create the Master purchase order in an excel sheet.
2. Save the workbook as a Template.
3. One Cell (say "A5") would contain the Primary purchase no.
4. Each time a copy of the sheet is opened, Workbook/Worksheet
Change Event code would automatically add '1' to cell "A5".
5. Users would enter job-specific purchase order numbers in "A6"
such that a typical entry might be: 00101/ 55321
"A5" "A6"
6. Users would access the Order form via a menu item, and when
the Order form is displayed, there would need to be a 'save/
cancel' button. If cancel, then reset the number in the Template.
If save, then allow user to browse to a folder of their choice
and save, but also save to a default folder (so that a record of
all purchase orders is maintained).

Is this feasible? Is it already available somewhere?
Any help/thoughts much appreciated.

Regards.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Its all certainly possible and shouldn't be to hard to do providing you have some understanding of VBA and Excel.

I just have two questions
1) Do you need to search through purchase orders for any reason? - sum up the values or anything like that.
2) With the saving to a default folder would it be better to just save all the data into one master spreadsheet instead of having multiple spreadsheets all copies of purchase orders - maybe I'm not being all that clear - I'm just wondering if a record could be kept as just another row in a spreadsheet rather then a total new spreadsheet

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have 'some' understanding of
VBA for Excel. Incidentally, it will be developed with XL2000
and all users have 2000.

One earlier typo......meant Workbook.Open/Sheet.Activate Event
not Change Event (though maybe even the Change Event could be
made to work).

This is for the company I work for, so users are my co-workers.

Your questions:

1) We have 2 types of users......type 1 will be creating the Orders
and are therefore computer-literate. Type 2 would probably
struggle to simply Log On (g). On the other hand, type 2 users
just happen to be the people who pay the salaries so.....

For now, I was thinking to test the user's new order in various
ways, and if it complies allow the user to browse to a folder
and save (whilst behind the scene also saving to a central folder).
In addition, to force a Print, so that the user will/should file the
hard copy to a central 'paper' file.......for the use of a type 2
user.

2) The Default folder might ideally be constructed as follows:
in a simple case, with limited orders....

Sheet1: records arranged sequentially according to Purchase
Order number, with limited additional data.
Sheet 2: this would be named with the job/project number, and
would hold FULL copies of the order details.
Records would be sequential according to the Purchase
number.
Sheet 3: would be a different job/project number....etc

ie pseudo code:
If Sheet("jobnumber") Exists Then
Copy record 'to next available row
Else Create It
& Copy record
End If

Hope this has clarified, rather than confused the issue.

Ragards and trhanks.