Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Using a macro to create a pre-linked combobox

Hi everyone,

I am at the end of my string. It has been years since I have used
VB and I am using Excel for the first time. My programing background
and has made most things very easy, however... I would really like to
use VLOOKUP to search an inventory and return the closest match. But
most of you probably know how useful VLOOKUP is when an exact match is
not found. So I decided to use comboboxes because they have an
autocomplete function which is just brilliant when dealing with
hundreds of different items.

So the question is: how can I make user creation of additional
comboboxes, which are pre-linked and already have their ListFillRanges
assigned, possible?

Alternatively, can VLOOKUP or some other function be modified to
provide closer, more intuitive returns?

Cheers,

Busta
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Vlookup/Match seems to be well defined in terms of what it returns and that
appears logical. There are certain requirements imposed - perhaps you are
not abiding by the requirements. Unfortunately, if the user adds a
combobox, the user would either have to define the functionality of the
combobox, or a set of rules could be applied using code to configure the
combobox. Implementation would just be the programming of those rules.

Tom Ogilvy

"Buster" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for your response. It is great to hear from you. I
have read many of your posts and you seem to be highly knowledgeable.

I agree with you, for starters, that Vlookup and Match are clearly
defined in their functionality. For me however, they still leave
something to be desired. If, for example, I want to find the closest
match for "Ap" in my inventory, Vlookup does not return "Apples," but
rather "Almonds" based I guess on the length of the text string or
some other non-alphabetical criteria.

I am trying to create an automated inventory requisition form. One
that acomodates users who are not familiar with the thousands of
records in inventory and that makes adjustments to those records. I
have 98% of the project complete, (the req.s adjust the inventory
beautifully in my opinion) all that remains is to allow for user
expansion of the requisition form. Naturally, the intuitive nature of
the auto-complete mode of the comboboxes is great. However, I need to
provide for novice users who will want possibly infinite expansion of
the requisition form.

I haven't really got a clear idea of how difficult it will be to
write this code - as I said, it has been years (10 or so) since I used
Visual Basic - maybe you could direct me to some good examples of the
type of code I am looking for - I don't know - perhaps you could give
me a jump-start and show me what code I need to create and
automatically link the comboboxes and assign their ListFillRange?

Thanks so much for your input,

Buster