Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Keeping inputs in proportion with Solver

If I have a simple equation, like
A1 = Total Revenue
A2 = Cost of Revenue
A3 = Gross Profit = A1 - A2

And I want to automate some goal seeking using Solver, is there any
way to tell it to try and keep A1 and A2 in the same ratio? I don't
want to make A2 a calculation if possible.

When I try solver, if my initial numbers are 100-50=50, and then I try
to goal seek to 75, I get 113-38. I would like to get 150-75. Is
there any setting for Solver to tell it to try to find solutions like
that?

thanks
Backslider
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only way to ensure the ratio is maintained is to use a formula
(A2: =0.5*A1). If you don't want to enter that in cell A2, you can
specify it as a constraint in Solver. But, one way or the other, you
will have to use the formula. And, entering it into cell A2 is faster
and more transparent.

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions