Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Best book to learn excel?

I have found myself in a spot where I need to create a spreadsheet to track
and calculate totals ( payroll of sorts) for a department at work. But I
thought I would give it as shot myself. So I need to find the best book to
try to learn the basics. Is on of the "for dummies" publications the best
place to start?

This is for an industry where tips are a large portion of the income for
these employees and they need to be able to keep accurate records of what
they have made along with deductions for taxes, 401k health insurance etc.

They need a spreadsheet which they can keep on their home computer that will
do the following...

They should be able to input the # of hours they work along with the tips
they made.

From there the spreadsheet should calculate and present the following on a
daily, bi weekly and yearly format...a chart would be nice.

Hourly rate of pay total( base wage x hours worked)
Total tips received
Tips received minus 10% to a maximum of $15
Tips received minus 10% up to $15 subtracted from the total
Total of base wage plus tips ( minus the 10%) and the hourly rate that would
represent.

Then calculate the expected paycheck by figuring the 401k, health insurance
and tax deductions( state and federal)

There may be others additions or subtractions, but that gives you an idea of
what I want to do. Suggestions on if something other than Excel as the
program to use appreciated.

The key to this is that it be easy to use.
Thanks much !

Brandon