Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Default is this formula possible in excel?

I posted this under the functions group and did not get a
response. I called a number where they said I can't do
what I want to do without visual basic. Should I forget
it, or is there a formula someone could just give me to
use?

Thanks,

I'm trying to creat a formula that keeps doing the same
test in a single cell by increasing one of the variables
by .01 each time until the sum of the overall equation
becomes than a given number. I'm able to do this on
multiple lines, but when you change the given
information, then the "answer" is on a different line
each time. I need it to do the multiple computations in
the same cell. Is that possible?
Here is a simplified example:

A B C D

4 1 4 50

C = A*B

If A + C < D, then increase B by 1 each time until the
answer is D and that is the number for which you are
looking. I need the computing to stop after that number
and let the value of the cell just equal that final
number.

Thank you to anyone who can help,

Heidi

..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select Tools=goal seek
in the first box designate C1 as the cell
equal to 50 (have to type in in the second box)

by changing B1 (third box)

Then click OK

This doesn't do exactly what you want as there is no until than.

You can get more sophisticated by using Solver - tools=solver (if you have
solver addin selected under tools=Addins).

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Heidi,

Apologies in advance if my solution only works because you
have given a very simplified example, but in this case,
you can use a formula for 'B' such as this one (obviously,
you'll want to replace the variables with cell references):

B=IF((D+0.01)/A=INT((D+0.01)/A*100)/100,(D+0.01)/A,INT
((D+0.01)/A*100)/100+0.01)

Depending on the actual scenario you're trying to solve,
this can get more complex, but it IS possible in many
cases to work it out.

HTH,
Ryan