Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Countif function

Hi, This is URGENT.

Problem: In MS Excel, Column A contains values from A to Z and Column
contains value from 1 to 5. Now, I need to count the records that hav
"A" has value in Column A and "3" in Column B. I had tried with COUNTI
function but it works only for one criteria, i.e. it can be used if
want to count the records with value "A" in Column A or the record
with "5 in Column B. Is there any function that can be used for thi
purpose.
Pls treat this very urgent

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

preety wrote:

Problem: In MS Excel, Column A contains values from A to Z and Column B
contains value from 1 to 5. Now, I need to count the records that have
"A" has value in Column A and "3" in Column B. I had tried with COUNTIF
function but it works only for one criteria, i.e. it can be used if I
want to count the records with value "A" in Column A or the records
with "5 in Column B. Is there any function that can be used for this
purpose.

Have you considered creating a third column with something like "=A1&B1"
as a formula, then using countif ?

--
Steve Garman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Please don't waste people's time by
multiposting. Instead crosspost so
helpers will be able to see any answer
posted, no matter which group they are
attending. OTOH crossposting is rarely
necessary since all the regulars attend
must of the groups.

See my answer in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--
Best Regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"preety" skrev i en meddelelse

Hi, This is URGENT.

Problem: In MS Excel, Column A contains values from A to Z and Column B
contains value from 1 to 5. Now, I need to count the records that have
"A" has value in Column A and "3" in Column B. I had tried with COUNTIF
function but it works only for one criteria, i.e. it can be used if I
want to count the records with value "A" in Column A or the records
with "5 in Column B. Is there any function that can be used for this
purpose.
Pls treat this very urgent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to use an array formula for this. Something like
this should do what you want

=SUM((A1:A100="B")*(B1:B100=3))

If you haven't used array formulae before, you have to
hold CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to enter it properly. You can
obviously amend the values you search for, or replace them
with a cell reference if you prefer.

Cheers, Pete.

Problem: In MS Excel, Column A contains values from A to

Z and Column B
contains value from 1 to 5. Now, I need to count the

records that have
"A" has value in Column A and "3" in Column B. I had

tried with COUNTIF
function but it works only for one criteria, i.e. it can

be used if I
want to count the records with value "A" in Column A or

the records
with "5 in Column B. Is there any function that can be

used for this
purpose.
Pls treat this very urgent.

~~View and post usenet messages directly from

http://www.ExcelForum.com/

.