Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ADP to Excel and Formatting

I want to thank all of you in advance. I'm really new to
VB6. I've written some macros in various other
applications but never any REAL programming.

I've been given an assignment to automate a process and
I've done some macro writing to do check out my logic. I
decided to try to do this in modules and then put it
together in a VB6 program. (I think I'm WAY WAY over my
head, but here goes.)

The basic process starts in ADP's Reflection which is
basically Unix. Currently we manually enter a
salesperson's sales number and then their name and ask
the program to calculate the sales person's commission
and list the gross profit on each deal. (I work in a BMW
dealership.) ADP then asks for another salesperson's
info, etc. When done I can highlight all the data and
ADP Reflection will, when I click a button on the button
bar, take all the data and convert it into an Excel
spreadsheet asking me to name the file before the
conversion is complete and then it opens the
spreadsheet. Then I reformat the spreadsheet manually to
make it more readable and eliminate some unnecessary rows
and insert some SUM formulas to calculate the gross
profit for each salesperson. Finally, the totals need to
be exported to another existing spreadsheet.

ADP allows the use of VB6 to automate some tasks. I'm
assuming ADP's macro facility will allow me to record the
macro. I'd like to use a lookup table to get the
salesperson's name and sales number. ADP is kind of slow
so I don't know how much time to allow between entering
each salesperson's info.

I've written a macro in Excel which formats the
spreadsheet. A second macro that works is one that
searches for a text string and goes two columns to the
right and sums the numbers above it and then activates
that cell so that I can loop the macro to search for the
text string again and so on. One problem is that the
numbers to be summed are not necessarily contiguous; they
may be separated by a few rows. Sometimes they're
contiguous sometimes they're not. Each salesperson's
data is separated into new and used cars with each deal
being in its own row and labeled as new or used. All the
new deals are grouped together for each salesperson
although not necessarily, as I said, contiguous. The
same applies to their used sales. The new sales grosses
need to be summed and the used sales grosses also need to
be summed. These sums are the ones that need to be
exported to the other existing spreadsheet.