Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating a tournament program in Excel 2003

Hi, I'm a chess player hobbyist and I was wondering if it's possible to
design a tournament program using either VBA or functions in Excel 2003.
Here's the scenario: you have a group of people who play chess, say 10.
I'd like to know if there's a way to get Microsoft Excel to determine
who gets to play whom based on the results of the first round. For
example after each game, a person is assigned a 1 for victory or a 0 for
a loss. The program should be able to generate who gets to play each
other in the second round, for instance, people who won in the first
round get to play the ones who also won in the first round. Etc, etc
until there is only two best players who duke it out for the final round
and the championships. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like a single elimination type tournament similar
to a softball tournament. With 10, somebody is gonna get a
bye straight to the finals after they win the first match.
Either 8 or 12 players would be easier to set up. How are
you going to determine the first round opponents? Random
generation? Draw names out of a hat? What determines the
criteria for round two and three? Do the winners advance
through the bracket or are they randomly selected again?
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gabby

I have a spreadsheet set up for an 8-team double elimination tournament.
There's also a sheet to set up a single elimination tournament form 2 to 8
teams. It probably doesn't fit you want exactly, but it may be useful to
you to look at it. Let me know if you'd like me to email it to you.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel