Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Recalculation Speed After Editing Macro Code

The following was submitted to Microsoft, but I thought I
would ask for other opinions.
Problem Description: The recalcuation time in Excel
became extremely slow after doing some work in the VBE
about two weeks ago. The problem has persisted almost
every time I am working on a workbook and enter the VBE
to make some code changes and then exit back to the
worksheet. Worksheets that used to recalculate in 1
second may now take up to 30 seconds. The problem is only
alleviated by closing Excel and restarting it, not just
closing the originally affected workbook or closing the
VBE. Reoccurence usually takes place when the VBE is
entered and exited. If I close the workbook that I was
working on at the time there is no relief. Any other
workbooks that are open at the same time as the event
occurs are also affected. Files that I have not worked on
for several months are then also afflicted until Excel is
restarted. The length of time spent appears to be
somewhat independent of the complexity of the
spreadsheet. It would appear that it is not a file
specific problem, but occurs at the application level.
The following lines appear in the Immediate Window of the
VBE when Excel is opened. They have always been there so
I do not know if they have anything to do with the
problem or not.
[auto_open] <
[SetupFunctionIDs] <
[SetupFunctionIDs]
[PickPlatform] <
[PickPlatform]
[VerifyOpen] <
[VerifyOpen] 1
[RegisterFunctionIDs] <
[RegisterFunctionIDs]
[auto_open]

I am thinking of reinstalling Excel from Office 2000 on
the same machine so that I can move to a version that is
not having the problem. Do I need to reinstall Excel or
the entire suite from Office 2002 when I do that? I did
reinstall an old version of Photodraw 2000 about 4 weeks
ago, but that was well before the problem started to
appear.
Also, is there a registry switch that I can set to make
the VBE always start in full screen mode? I set the
Options switch but it does not take a permanent effect.
Problem Area: Other
Frequency of problem: Always Happens
Operating system / version: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional - 5.1.2600
Computer manufacturer and model: IBM, 2366FBU
Processor model and speed: , 2192 MHz
Memory (RAM): 1047.472 MB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The entries in the Immediate window are produced from the Analysis toolpak
or Analysis toolpak - VBA when it is loaded in xl2002. Apparently some
debug switch was not turned off.

You can explore

http://www.decisionmodels.com

Where there is a lot of information on speeding up excel.

Tom Ogilvy