Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I could really need your help on importing contacts into Outlook (Please?)

Hi all,

I need to import literally 3000 contacts into Outlook. I need to do this for
a survey I am conducting for my academic thesis (so, this is not a business
problem, and I don't have much money to spend :-(. I am going to mail these
companies and am going to send them a questionairre; therefore I need to
have these records in Outlook.

I want to do this via Excel (since importing it directly into Outlook is not
possible due to the list format). Unfortunately, the list (in plain text)
looks like the list on the bottom of my message (small example). (The list
is Excel is in 2 columns, but copy and paste did not work that well in this
message).

So, I now have two problems:

[1] The data does seem to be in standard databaseformat, although the fields
are not next to each other (from left to right) but below and above each
other, as well in two rows.

[2] Not allways are all fields filled: for example, sometimes the email
address is not filled in, or the fax is missing.

Thus, I can not assign headers to

it (in Outlook), and thus I can not map the fields during the import into

Outlook. I know I can use "transpose" in Excel to change rows into columns,

but this still requires a lot of manual work: I have to select each block,

Edit/Copy, Edit/Paste Special/Transpose. With 3000 contacts I'm not happy to

do so, since it may cause the RSI-problems very easily. So, could anybody

recommend a solution to my problem? I would really, really, really (and I
really mean really) appreciate this (!).

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Jos

[Example of the list]

Abilita AG

Althardstrasse 80 Phone: 01/8427400

8105 Regensdorf Email:

Switzerland URL:
http://www.abilita.ch/

(Explanation due to a wrong copy and paste in this message: Column 1 has 4
rows: Abilita AG, Althardstrasse 80, 8105 Regensdorf, Switzerland. Column 2
(to the right of column 1) has 3 fields: Phone, email, URL. In the next
address, below, the same goes, however, here the fax has been filled (as
opposed to the first record (Abilita))

AC-Service (Schweiz) AG

Hardstrasse 73 Phone: 056/437 41 11

5430 Wettingen Fax: 056/426 71 47

Switzerland Email:

Acag Andres Consulting AG

Blue Max Gewerbezentrum Phone: 01/922 90 90

8708 Männedorf Fax: 01/922 90 99

Switzerland Email:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is considered rude to post in more than one since most that will help
read all. Why waste time & effort?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jos" <reply in newsgroup please wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Don,

As far as I know the netiquette does not forbid posting to multiple
newsgroups; posting off topic, or posting to a huge number of groups at the
same time (which reasonably would suggest posting off topic) is considered
impolite, as far as I know. But the main reason why you would want to post
to more than just 1 group is because not all ISP's host all groups (they
make a selection out of the +100.000 usenet groups, as for example my
provider does not host all microsoft.public.* groups).

So, I did not mean to offend anybody, I am not aware of doing so, and I do
not consider to be wasting somebody's time en effort; I merely want to make
sure that those who can not access a particular group, are able to read my
question using another group. Should you require more background information
on usenet-netiquette, consider consulting:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/posting-rules/part1/. The relevant excerpt
is below:

[BEGIN]
Usually, it is sufficient to post any article to a single newsgroup; the one
that's most relevant to the subject of your article. If the article
is really relevant to multiple newsgroups, then "cross-post" to the relevant
newsgroups by posting the article only once with all newsgroups
named on the "Newsgroups" header line. For example: Newsgroups:
comp.fish,misc.sheep,talk.ketchup would cause an article to be posted to
comp.fish, misc.sheep, and talk.ketchup simultaneously.

By posting a single article to all the newsgroups you wish to reach, the
news software is able to transfer a single copy. Furthermore, users with
"smart" newsreaders will see the article only once. Making separate
postings of your article for each newsgroup you wish to reach tends to
annoy readers rather than emphasize the message content as well as waste
computational resources.
[END]

Regards,

Jos

"Don Guillett" schreef in bericht

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do as you like.

--
> [...]

| 8105 Regensdorf Email:

| Switzerland URL:
http://www.abilita.ch/

| (Explanation due to a wrong copy and paste in this message: Column 1

has
4
| rows: Abilita AG, Althardstrasse 80, 8105 Regensdorf, Switzerland.
Column
| 2
| (to the right of column 1) has 3 fields: Phone, email, URL. In the

next
| address, below, the same goes, however, here the fax has been filled

(as
| opposed to the first record (Abilita))
|

| AC-Service (Schweiz) AG
|
| Hardstrasse 73 Phone: 056/437 41 11
|
| 5430 Wettingen Fax: 056/426 71 47
|
| Switzerland Email:

| Acag Andres Consulting AG
|
| Blue Max Gewerbezentrum Phone: 01/922 90 90

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Open a new workbook, press Alt plus F8, enter a name for a macro and click
the "Create" button. Click the Tools drop down menu, select "References"
and place a check next to "Microsoft Outlook 9.0 Library" (you may have a
different version than 9.0). In place of the SubEnd Sub lines that were
created for you when you entered the VB editor, paste the following code:

Public olApp As Outlook.Application
Public olNS As Outlook.NameSpace

Function InitOutlook() As Boolean
On Error GoTo Init_Error
Set olApp = New Outlook.Application
Set olNS = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

InitOutlook = True

Init_End:
Exit Function
Init_Error:
InitOutlook = False
Resume Init_End
End Function

Sub ContactGrab()
Dim fdContacts As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim fdItems As Outlook.Items
Dim fdItem As Object
Dim R As Integer

If olApp Is Nothing Then
If InitOutlook = False Then
MsgBox "Unable to initialize Outlook application or namespace"
Exit Sub

Set fdContacts = olNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)
Set fdItems = fdContacts.Items

Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Clear

R = 1
With Sheets("Sheet1")
.Rows("1").Font.Bold = True
.Cells(1, 1).Value = "Contacts First Name"
.Cells(1, 2).Value = "Contacts Last Name"
.Cells(1, 3).Value = "Contacts Email Address"
.Columns("A").ColumnWidth = 32
.Columns("B").ColumnWidth = 36
.Columns("C").ColumnWidth = 26

End With

For Each fdItem In fdItems
On Error Resume Next
R = R + 1
With Sheets("Sheet1")
.Cells(R, 1).Value = fdItem.FirstName
.Cells(R, 2).Value = fdItem.LastName
.Cells(R, 3).Value = fdItem.Email1Address
End With
Next

Close the VB editor Window. Save the workbook. To run the macro, click Alt
plus F8, select the "ContactGrab" macro and click the "Run" button. You
will probably be presented with a popup warning you that a macro is trying
to view email address info. Set a time in minutes for how long you will
allow this to happen.

Once you've confirmed that the thing works, you will have to edit the macro
so you can populate it with all the fields you're actually concerned with.
Hopefully this is enough of a start to make it clear how you should proceed.

Steve

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess you missed the first line of the original request:

I need to import literally 3000 contacts into Outlook.

Yours appears to do the opposite.
--
Regads,
Tom Ogilvy

Steve Yandl wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'd like to help if I could. Please clarify for me if you data is stil
in a plain text file or is it already in Excel?

Also which version of Outlook are you using?
If you are using OLY2K with the "security patch" or any later version
any code that attempts to access the address book will invoke a pesk
dialog box requiring user to confirm or deny access by the program t
the address book.

I think we need to get your data in a consistent format first before w
can get it into Outlook. You mentioned that some fields are blank. Ar
the fields always in the same position relative to the data block (e.g
is the address field always the 3rd field from the top in the firs
column of the data block)?

Here's a sample code block that shows, in principle, how to add
contact to your Outlook address book:

Dim olApp As Outlook.Application
Dim olMyContact As Outlook.ContactItem
Dim strContact As String

Set olApp = New Outlook.Application
Set olMyContact = olApp.CreateItem(olContactItem)
With olMyContact
.FirstName = "Harry"
.LastName = "Potter"
.HomeAddress = "123 Privett Drive"
.HomeAddressCity = "London"
.HomeAddressPostalCode = "1N7 GH8"
.Email1Address = "
.Save
End With

Hope this helps:cool

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

A bit of clarification please... is this how your data is set up (cell
numbers hypothetical)?

A1: Ablita AG
A2: Althardstrasse 80
A3: 8105 Regensdorf
A4: Switzerland
A5: [BLANK]
A6: AC-Service (Schweiz) AG
A7: Hardstrasse 73
A8: 5430 Wettingen
A9: Switzerland
A10: [BLANK]
etc.....

B1: [BLANK]
B2: Phone: 01/8427400
B3: Email:
B4: URL:
http://www.abilita.ch/
B5: [BLANK]
B6: [BLANK]
B7: Phone: 056/437 4111
B8: Fax: 056/426 7147
B9: Email:
B10: URL:
http://www.ac-service.com
etc...

If yes... I have one way of getting all of the data into one row based on
the name of the company. If the above layout is not correct, and each entry
is a max of 8 cells, you would be able to pull in the company name as well.
Let me know if you want to see it.... this was a fun one :)

ryanb.