Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bob bob is offline

Default Worksheet Password Recovery

Hi all,

Does anybody know the best way to write a macro that will
recover the password for a worksheet ?.

I am told that the security for this is weak and therefore
writing a program to access this is simple .

However, how is this different from writing any other
program to recovery a password (length undetermined) .
Afterall standard techniques would apply (e.g brute force,
dictionary methods etc..), so how is this easier for a
worksheet ?.

Also, I have a program that recovers VBA passwords from
Excel workbooks but I have no idea how it does this !??
But it does so instantly without fuss (excel versions
XP,2000,95). Can somebody explain how ?.

Any help on this, would be appreaciated.

Many thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You only need access to the vba editor to 'unprotect' a
worksheet without knowing the password. Highlight the
worksheet in the VBA project pane, then change the visible
property to xlSheetVisible in the Properties pane. You can
then reset the password to whatever you want. Don't know
why you would wish to recover the existing password itself
though.

Does anybody know the best way to write a macro that will
recover the password for a worksheet ?.

I am told that the security for this is weak and

therefore
writing a program to access this is simple .

However, how is this different from writing any other
program to recovery a password (length undetermined) .
Afterall standard techniques would apply (e.g brute

force,
dictionary methods etc..), so how is this easier for a
worksheet ?.

Also, I have a program that recovers VBA passwords from
Excel workbooks but I have no idea how it does this !??
But it does so instantly without fuss (excel versions
XP,2000,95). Can somebody explain how ?.

Any help on this, would be appreaciated.

Many thanks,

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Does anybody know the best way to write a macro that will
recover the password for a worksheet ?.

I am told that the security for this is weak and therefore
writing a program to access this is simple .

However, how is this different from writing any other
program to recovery a password (length undetermined) .
Afterall standard techniques would apply (e.g brute force,
dictionary methods etc..), so how is this easier for a
worksheet ?.

Also, I have a program that recovers VBA passwords from
Excel workbooks but I have no idea how it does this !??
But it does so instantly without fuss (excel versions
XP,2000,95). Can somebody explain how ?.

Any help on this, would be appreaciated.

Many thanks,

AFAK, the standard encryption is idd weak. However they now have
stonger rc4(128 bits) encryption. The best way to understand these
encryptions is to first check how they work.
http://www.ncat.edu/~grogans/algorit...riptio.htm(for
the rc4 algorithm or streaming algorithm)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bob bob is offline

I have done this bit through the VBA editor, and unhidden
the worksheet. What I can't do is unhide the columns on
this worksheet as the 'unhide' option is disabled - which
means it probably still needs me to enter a password.

Please advise ,