Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Shareware

I'm the author of the Excel shareware "Edwin's Power Tools"

Recently, I saw another shareware called "Excel PowerPlus Tools 1.0.5" by Bandwood software

I found that that shareware is SUBSTANTIAL INDENTICAL to mine, in terms of functionality, and more surprisingly, the SOURCE CODE and USERFORM DESIGN!

How indentical??
1) Macro code are identical LINE BY LIN
2) Order of macros are identica
3) A lot of variable names are identica
4) The extensive use of numbers like "-4142", "-4131", "-4152" instead of the Excel VB "English" constants are identical
5) The names of a lot of controls on UserFoms are identica
6) When my userforms have controls overlapping each other, the same number of controls on the userforms of that shareware are overlapping each other also
7) A lot of the function names are identical
8) I got a lot of "Edwin's Power Tools" in my message boxes. Some messaage boxes of that shareware also has "Bandwood's Power Tools" even though the actual name of it is called ""Excel PowerPlus Tools"

Even worse, I called the author of that shareware (who is in Australia), and he refused to admit that he USED by software code and adapted it, and for a profit, and without my consent

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Edwin,

You might want to look at the following site:
http://www.copyright.org.au/page3.htm
then select Computer software.

Note: this site offers information only, but are
contactable if information/advice you seek is not
available on any of the faq's.

The only other advice i can give you, is to contact a
lawyer. I understand you are not in Australia, so inter-
country legal proceedings (if it comes to that) can/would-
be difficult.

One last thing. If you goto http://au.yahoo.com, then type
in "copyright" and Australia for searches, it will bring
up a few other sites that may be helpfull, including one,
which has Australia's copyright law.

HTH's.

An Aussie!

I'm the author of the Excel shareware "Edwin's Power

Tools".

Recently, I saw another shareware called "Excel PowerPlus

Tools 1.0.5" by Bandwood software.

I found that that shareware is SUBSTANTIAL INDENTICAL to

mine, in terms of functionality, and more surprisingly,
the SOURCE CODE and USERFORM DESIGN!!

How indentical??!
1) Macro code are identical LINE BY LINE
2) Order of macros are identical
3) A lot of variable names are identical
4) The extensive use of numbers like "-4142", "-4131", "-

4152" instead of the Excel VB "English" constants are
identical.
5) The names of a lot of controls on UserFoms are

identical

.