Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel binary file format

Hi Thomas,

The last place it was publicly documented was in the Excel 97 SDK, which
is now out of print. You might be able to find a copy from a used book
seller. The only other alternative is to write Microsoft and ask them for a
copy. Here's the text regarding this option from KB article Q239653:

NOTE: The Microsoft Office binary file format documentation was removed
from the MSDN in 1999. If you would like to receive this documentation,
you can send e-mail to , or mail to:

Office File Format Documentation Request
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052

Requests should contain a detailed description for planned use of this
documentation.

Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

"Thomas Kregeloh" wrote in message
Hi there,
is the binary file format of Excel-files documented (it surely is -
somewhere), and is this documentation available anywhere? I tried to

google
for it but wasn't lucky. I'd like to generate Excel files outside of

Excel.
TIA
Thomas