Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default something like autofilter?

In a spreadsheet that contains data for classes, some classes
have 2-3 rows of information, each row showing additional
meeting times.

Typical field names are
Dept, No, Sect, Course Title, Credit, Contact, Days, Times, Room, Instructor

Addtional rows for classes contain only information in Course Title, Days, Times, Room,
and Instructor
columns.

There are blank rows between classes.

Autofilter shows only the first row of each class. Does anyone have any ideas how to
show something like autofiltered data but allow the additional rows for each class to show
up
temporarily.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

use helper columns that establish a common value for the lines of a single
entry and also support use of the autofilter to filter on what you want.
Since I don't know how you filter, I can't suggest a specific solution.

Tom Ogilvy

Doug Broad wrote in message
In a spreadsheet that contains data for classes, some classes
have 2-3 rows of information, each row showing additional
meeting times.

Typical field names are
Dept, No, Sect, Course Title, Credit, Contact, Days, Times, Room,

Instructor

Addtional rows for classes contain only information in Course Title, Days,

Times, Room,
and Instructor
columns.

There are blank rows between classes.

Autofilter shows only the first row of each class. Does anyone have any

ideas how to
show something like autofiltered data but allow the additional rows for

each class to show
up
temporarily.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply Tom. I think I understand the what you mean
by "helper columns". Are you suggesting an index column for a specific
class and another for all classes of the same type? That approach
might be the easiest to implement. If not, could you give a very small
example to clarify what you mean.

--Rambling Mode On--

Typical data would be.

DEPT, NUMBER, SECTION, COURSE, DAYS, TIMES, ROOM, INSTRUCTOR
ARC, 111, 01, Introduction To Architectural Technology, M, 10-1:30, 4120, Broad
,,,,T,9-12:00, 4120
Blank line
Next course data
Line for second day time for next course
Line for third day/time for next course
Blank line

At this point. I autofilter for a particular class, select one row, turn
off the autofilters and use the up/down cursor to display the area
immediately around the filtered class. Perhaps I just need a
toggle button to focus on a particular area of the spreadsheet one
a row is selected since similar classes are generally together and
another button to re-engage the autofilters for each column and
put the focus at the top of the spreadsheet.

Unless I can get access to how the autofilter works, I would think
I need to have a control button at the top of each column of the list
that would
1) Show the list of available values.
2) Based on those values scan that column and hide the rows
that don't meet the criteria and also check the criteria for adjacent
buttons.??
3) Show line lines immediately following the match until a blank
row identifies the next course. I am looking for a grouping control
that allows 3 to 4 rows to be seen as a single object to be displayed.

Since AutoFilter is a built-in feature of Excel, I don't know whether I can
do anything to customize it other than use the criteria rows as described in
the help literature.

--Rambling Mode off--

Thanks again. Sorry for the rambling.

Regards,