Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Another Tuesday Task

ahhhhhhh, wonderful. so, the boss, who thinks i'm some
kind of Excel wizard.....HA!.....comes strolling up to my
desk today and asks me how i'm coming along with "that
thing he asked me about" last week.

that thing he's referring to: breaking up my single
worksheet into several worksheets based on what state
abbreviations (FL, AK, NY, etc) exist in the original
worksheet.

in case you're wondering.....yes i tried to figure this
out via these newsgroups last week, but with no luck. my
own thick-headedness to be sure, as it is true that
several suggestions were brought forward.

okay here is what i'm trying to accomplish:

7 columns.......A thru G

column D is the column where all of the state
abbreviations are stored. most of them are FL, but there
are always a certain number of them that are from across
the country.

i would like to take this single worksheet, and break it
up into as many worksheets as there are state
abbreviations found.

ex.....states on worksheet might be: FL, MN, and MA

well, i would want three total worksheets then......one
for each state.

and so on and so forth.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IF YOU CAN OFFER ANY ASSISTANCE!!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVEN IF YOU CAN'T ; )
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Josh,

Saw your other thread and the suggestions made.
I have another suggestion.....
Why do you want to create so many unweildy sheets to view
your data????
You could set up your workbook with one sheet that has
all of your data (as you do now) and create a "Query" sheet
where you could just pick a state and all of the data for only
that state would be displayed.
Would be a lot easier to navigate two sheets as opposed to
50 plus sheets.

John

Josh in Tampa wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

that sounds great. that would work perfectly. so, i
think i'll try that.......i'll search the help menu for
assistance on building a query, etc.

do you have any handy tips that might get me started on
the right track? thanks.

Josh in Tampa wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Josh,

A good place to start would be Debra's site on Advanced Filtering
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

Doing it this way would be a lot easier (in the long run) than having
50 or so separate sheets.

John