Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Are there apis that relate colour index with color?

The relationship between the forty colour index number you get from the
default colour palette when you press Fill Color and the background colour
values is given below if you swap the last two digist with the two first.

My query is: do apis exist that calculates the one given the other?

Sincerely,

Jan Nordgreen
Santa Cruz, Bolivia

aPalColour(1) = "000000"
aPalColour(2) = "FFFFFF"
aPalColour(3) = "FF0000"
aPalColour(4) = "00FF00"
aPalColour(5) = "0000FF"
aPalColour(6) = "FFFF00"
aPalColour(7) = "FF00FF"
aPalColour(8) = "00FFFF"
aPalColour(9) = "800000"
aPalColour(10) = "008000"
aPalColour(11) = "000080"
aPalColour(12) = "808000"
aPalColour(13) = "800080"
aPalColour(14) = "008080"
aPalColour(15) = "C0C0C0"
aPalColour(16) = "808080"
aPalColour(33) = "00CCFF"
aPalColour(34) = "CCFFFF"
aPalColour(35) = "CCFFCC"
aPalColour(36) = "FFFF99"
aPalColour(37) = "99CCFF"
aPalColour(38) = "FF99CC"
aPalColour(39) = "CC99FF"
aPalColour(40) = "FFCC99"
aPalColour(41) = "3366FF"
aPalColour(42) = "33CCCC"
aPalColour(43) = "99CC00"
aPalColour(44) = "FFCC00"
aPalColour(45) = "FF9900"
aPalColour(46) = "FF6600"
aPalColour(47) = "666699"
aPalColour(48) = "969696"
aPalColour(49) = "003366"
aPalColour(50) = "339966"
aPalColour(51) = "003300"
aPalColour(52) = "333300"
aPalColour(53) = "993300"
aPalColour(54) = "993366"
aPalColour(55) = "333399"
aPalColour(56) = "333333"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks.

When I searched for the answer to my question, I looked at his colourful
page, but did not find any api functions.

He gets the color values by reading cells he has set the color index of.

( Cells(i + 1, 2).Font.colorindex = i
Cells(i + 1, 2).Value = "[Color " & i & "]"
str0 = Right("000000" & Hex(Cells(i + 1, 1).Interior.color), 6))

I was wondering if there is a direct link.

Sincerely,

Jan Nordgreen

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It depends on what you mean by API, but if you mean windows API's then no,
they have no knowledge or interaction with Excel's internal method of
managing colors for cells and fonts.

RGB, QBColor, Color and colorIndex are the only functions that I can think
of that deal with colors and David gives a pretty good explanation of most
of those.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This article says very clearly that the VB method of storing colors is
different from RRGGBB

http://support.microsoft.com/default...53&Product=vb6
INFO: Do Not Use Visual Basic Color Constants in DHTML Page Designer

Activeworkbook.Colors(6) gives the long number format of the BBGGRR value
for the color pallet.
I think you would need to loop the palette to go the other way.

Tom Ogilvy

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jan..

The colors are stored in the workbook's Colors property
it's an array of long color values. Colorindex is 1 to 56.

ActiveWorkbook.ResetColors resets the workbooks colors array to the
defaults.

Be careful converting the long to hex as this produces BGR not RGB!!

Demo: type following in the immediate pane... :)

msgbox hex(rgb(255,254,253))

You'll get the color as follows:

Option Explicit
Sub GetColors()
Dim i&, lngColor&, strRGB$
For i = 1 To 56
'get the long
lngColor = ActiveWorkbook.Colors(i)
'convert long to rgb hex
strRGB = Lng2Rgb(lngColor)
Cells(i, 1) = i
Cells(i, 2) = lngColor
Cells(i, 3) = "'" & strRGB
Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Interior.Color = lngColor
Next
End Sub

Function Lng2Rgb$(lng&)
Dim r, g, b