Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Default Lingual solution?

I have an xls that I have written with Swedish Excel 97.

I have used things like IF, COUNTIF and OR.

However, in Swedish Excel

IF is OM
COUNTIF is ANTAL.OM
OR is ELLER

Will this code work if I send to to England to be used on Excel 97. Or
will I have to first do a "search and replace" and change all the code.
What about the decimal point? - the Swedish Windows/Excel uses a decimal
comma.

If this is not going to work without altering are there any tools/addins
that will do this for me?

There are a also few bits of simple VB program code in it. From what I
can see these are in English so I presume that these will be okay. Or?

Garry Jones
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Hi Garry,

Your formulas will be translated automatically; Excel stores formulas in an
"international" format, and displays them according to the language
version. Same is true for Reference styles (A1 or R1C1), decimal delimiters,
thousand separators, etc.
However, it is not true for add-ins, including Analysis Toolpak. Those
function calls will not be translated automatically. Refer to Eric Desart's
site to find a translation guide.
Also, there can be problems with functions using literals (between quotes),
like the format string in the TEXT function

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Garry Jones" wrote in message
I have an xls that I have written with Swedish Excel 97.

I have used things like IF, COUNTIF and OR.

However, in Swedish Excel

IF is OM
COUNTIF is ANTAL.OM
OR is ELLER

Will this code work if I send to to England to be used on Excel 97. Or
will I have to first do a "search and replace" and change all the code.
What about the decimal point? - the Swedish Windows/Excel uses a decimal
comma.

If this is not going to work without altering are there any tools/addins
that will do this for me?

There are a also few bits of simple VB program code in it. From what I
can see these are in English so I presume that these will be okay. Or?

Garry Jones

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

It's will work normally.
The regional settings will change and adjust all in the sheet.

Cleber

"Garry Jones" escreveu na mensagem
I have an xls that I have written with Swedish Excel 97.

I have used things like IF, COUNTIF and OR.

However, in Swedish Excel

IF is OM
COUNTIF is ANTAL.OM
OR is ELLER

Will this code work if I send to to England to be used on Excel 97. Or
will I have to first do a "search and replace" and change all the code.
What about the decimal point? - the Swedish Windows/Excel uses a decimal
comma.

If this is not going to work without altering are there any tools/addins
that will do this for me?

There are a also few bits of simple VB program code in it. From what I
can see these are in English so I presume that these will be okay. Or?

Garry Jones

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Niek Otten wrote:

Hi Garry,

Your formulas will be translated automatically

Thanks for your answer.

In the meantime I have now seen my work in action in an English version
of Excel. Like you said the IF and etc were okay.

But, I was unable to click on a couple of buttons that should execute
code and bring up users forms.

This was one offending line...

=INBÄDDAT("Forms.CommandButton.1";"")

Nothing happened when I clicked on the button

However, this was not Excel 97 PC Swedish, it was Excel 5 English for an
English MAC. Could that be the reason my buttons did not work or is this
likely to be because of the language problem. I created the file on a
windows 98 pc, excel 97.

I did not have access to this mac for very long today for any further
investigation, I hope to take a futher look later in the week.

Refer to Eric Desart's site to find a translation guide.

I have checked around http://www.acoustics-noise.com/ - is that the
right site?, I can't find a translation guide there.

I know it's asking a lot, but I would be very grateful if you could
download my file and see if the buttons work in English Excel.

In that case it is at

http://www.algonet.se/~morack/league2.xls

It will ask for macros, you do not need to turn macros on for this to
work.

When I know it's working I am going to send this file to England to be
used on a pc.

Garry Jones
Sweden
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Hello Garry,

You have a special problem here.
Until Excel 5 VBA was still in the local language.
So if VBA code was made in a non-English file, other languages
couldn't use that file, without saving a special file in one of the
directories. I can't remember which one, but one could download it
from the MS site. (can maybe still be found).

But even when having this file installed, translation wasn't always
good. I do remember very well (regularly caused trouble).

That why since XL 97, VBA became common Native English.
There is nothing else to do for you than checking which VBA lines
aren't translated and correct them manually.
This problem only excists for files with foreign language VBA made in
XL5 and XL95 (last one I assume)?
Later editions doesn't have this problem anymore.

So I think you should manually correct the problem, mostly it are only
a few which translate wrong.

Best regards
Eric