Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Versioning Question

Is there a way to use a VBA feature in Excel 2000 when running in Excel
2000, but have the system not us it when running in Excel 97?

I've created a modeless dialog box for my application. I want it to run in
Excel 2000 (and it does) but when I try to run the app in Excel 97 I get a
compile error because Excel 97 does not accept the vbModeless parameter
after the Form.Show command.

I've tried containing it in a If statment, but that doesn't solve the
problem.

Is there anything equivalent to the precompiler statements in C that I can
use here?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ExcelMan,

Have you tried

If Application.Version 8 Then
UserForm1.Show vbModeless
Else
UserForm1.Show

HTH

Bob Phillips

"ExcelMan" wrote in message
Is there a way to use a VBA feature in Excel 2000 when running in Excel
2000, but have the system not us it when running in Excel 97?

I've created a modeless dialog box for my application. I want it to run

in
Excel 2000 (and it does) but when I try to run the app in Excel 97 I get a
compile error because Excel 97 does not accept the vbModeless parameter
after the Form.Show command.

I've tried containing it in a If statment, but that doesn't solve the
problem.

Is there anything equivalent to the precompiler statements in C that I can
use here?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob

It errs on 97 because vbModeless is unknown. The trick is to place that into an isolated
sub that won't be called in 97:

Sub Main()
Select Case Val(Application.Version)
Case 8
UserForm1.Show
Case 9 To 99
Call Modeles
Case Else
End Select
End Sub

Private Sub Modeles()
UserForm1.Show vbModeless

HTH. Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"ExcelMan" wrote in message
Is there a way to use a VBA feature in Excel 2000 when running in Excel
2000, but have the system not us it when running in Excel 97?

I've created a modeless dialog box for my application. I want it to run

in
Excel 2000 (and it does) but when I try to run the app in Excel 97 I get a
compile error because Excel 97 does not accept the vbModeless parameter
after the Form.Show command.

I've tried containing it in a If statment, but that doesn't solve the
problem.

Is there anything equivalent to the precompiler statements in C that I can
use here?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Harald,

Thanks for showing me that. I don't have 97 on this machine to test, and
although what you say is obvious (once someone tells you that is <vbg), I
just strung together logical code. Ain't that always the way, logical code
doesn't always work. I guess that is why we spend so much on testing!

Regards

Bob