Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default help with solver or macro

I am trying to figure out a way to use Excel to optimize
an order of operations to minimize a calculation in one
cell. Essentially, I have a table of 3 parameters. Each
set of parameters is an operation. Every operation must
be performed, but in any order. There is a calculation
next to the table for each operation showing time per
operation and set-up time. The set-up time is dependent
on the order in which operations are performed. What I
need is to use something like Solver to optimize order of
operations (optimize row order). I can't figure out how
to do that. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sure your explanation of the problem makes perfect sense to you,
but pretend you don't know anything about the problem and (re)read the
post.

What is the set of 3 parameters. How do these three parameters become
one operation? What does "there is a calculation next to the table for
each operation" mean? I thought the table contained three parameters
that constituted one operation.

If the sequence of operations defines setup time, how can you have a
single value for the setup time. One should need a n-dimensional
'table'.

Maybe, if you post sample data and explain how it all comes together
for the posted data set...

Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions