Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Keep Data filtering functional when protectiong Worksheet

Good morning.
Is there any way to keep the data filtering function in
tact while, at the same time, protecting various selected
cells in a spreadsheet? I am using Windows 2000 and Office
Excel 2000.
Can this be done without the use of a special macro? I
tried unchecking various combinations of the Protection,
I.E. Objects,Contents,Scenarios, but I can only unlock all
the cells or the data filtering becomes unusable also.

Thanks
Phil
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to set the enableAutofilter property to true and set protection to
UserInterfaceOnly:=True. The latter can only be done with a macro. The
former needs to be done each time a worksheet is opened. - So I would say
you need a special macro

Public Sub Auto_Open()
worksheets("sheet1").Activate
Activesheet.EnableAutofilter = True
Activesheet.Protect UserInterfaceOnly = True
End Sub

as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

Phil C wrote in message
Good morning.
Is there any way to keep the data filtering function in
tact while, at the same time, protecting various selected
cells in a spreadsheet? I am using Windows 2000 and Office
Excel 2000.
Can this be done without the use of a special macro? I
tried unchecking various combinations of the Protection,
I.E. Objects,Contents,Scenarios, but I can only unlock all
the cells or the data filtering becomes unusable also.

Thanks
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom;

I entered the macro in the Workbook I wanted to protect.
It still locks the auto filter dropdown arrows when the
worksheet is protected. The only thing available is
advanced filter, which may be too complicated for novice
users. What could I be doing wrong? The help menu in VBA
shows the same macro lines as you suggested and explained
that the filter would be available when the worksheet is
protected. So I know I must be missing something.

Phil C wrote in message
Good morning.
Is there any way to keep the data filtering function in
tact while, at the same time, protecting various

selected
cells in a spreadsheet? I am using Windows 2000 and

Office
Excel 2000.
Can this be done without the use of a special macro? I
tried unchecking various combinations of the Protection,
I.E. Objects,Contents,Scenarios, but I can only unlock

all
the cells or the data filtering becomes unusable also.

Thanks
Phil

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There was a subtle typo in the macro. Change it to

Public Sub Auto_Open()
Worksheets("sheet1").Activate
ActiveSheet.EnableAutoFilter = True
ActiveSheet.Protect UserInterfaceOnly:=True
End Sub

Previously the colon was missing in UserInterfaceOnly:=True in the macro.

Tom Ogilvy

Phil C wrote in message
Good morning.
Is there any way to keep the data filtering function in
tact while, at the same time, protecting various

selected
cells in a spreadsheet? I am using Windows 2000 and

Office
Excel 2000.
Can this be done without the use of a special macro? I
tried unchecking various combinations of the Protection,
I.E. Objects,Contents,Scenarios, but I can only unlock

all
the cells or the data filtering becomes unusable also.

Thanks
Phil

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I changed it but still can't get the dropdown arrows to
function while protected. Is there any specific place this
macro should reside. I have it in "This Woekbook"

Phil C wrote in message
Good morning.
Is there any way to keep the data filtering function

in
tact while, at the same time, protecting various

selected
cells in a spreadsheet? I am using Windows 2000 and

Office
Excel 2000.
Can this be done without the use of a special macro?

tried unchecking various combinations of the

Protection,
I.E. Objects,Contents,Scenarios, but I can only

unlock
all
the cells or the data filtering becomes unusable

also.

Thanks
Phil

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It should be in a general module.

If you want to use thisworkbook, you should use the workbook)_open event

Private Sub Workbook_Open()