Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Concatenate a list

Is there code to accomplishe the following?

I have combined two columns into one so that a Data,
Validation List will show a Job Number and Job Name. Upon
picking from the list, I only want the first 7 characters
to be entered.

Secondly, Is there a way to expand the size of the drop
down list that is coming from the Data, Validation List,
to see the entire cell contents.

If so which event would be code be placed in?

Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid I don't have much good news for you.

I have combined two columns into one so that a Data,
Validation List will show a Job Number and Job Name. Upon
picking from the list, I only want the first 7 characters
to be entered.

This can't be done. The point of a data validation list is that the cell
entry must exactly match an item in the data validation list. If you only
want to show the first seven characters, then your validation list must only
show the first seven characters.

Secondly, Is there a way to expand the size of the drop
down list that is coming from the Data, Validation List,
to see the entire cell contents.

This is a very commonly requested feature, but right now, there is no
way to do it.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"Chris" wrote in message
Is there code to accomplishe the following?

I have combined two columns into one so that a Data,
Validation List will show a Job Number and Job Name. Upon
picking from the list, I only want the first 7 characters
to be entered.

Secondly, Is there a way to expand the size of the drop
down list that is coming from the Data, Validation List,
to see the entire cell contents.

If so which event would be code be placed in?

Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chris,

The only thing that comes to mind is using 2 columns.

The first has your validation and should be wide enough to see what you
want. Say this is column A. In column B, starting with (say) B1 use
=Left(A1,7)
Than fill the formula down.

--
sb