-   -   Multi column Data Validation List (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/277205-multi-column-data-validation-list.html)

Chris

Multi column Data Validation List

I am using DATA = Validation = List to control input
into a single column range. The data being entered is
only job numbers and as a number, does not offer the user
enough information. Is it possible to have the List that
appears show 2 columns of information that could include
the Job Name.

When I try to refer the validation list to a 2 column
range, I get the following message: "The List Source must
be a delimited list or a reference to a single row or
column"

Is there a work around for this? I've read more books on
this than I can count.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Dave Peterson[_3_]

Multi column Data Validation List

Could you combine the two columns into another and use that column:

=a1& "--" & b1

Or just show the description column and use a vlookup (index/match) to return
the job number to an adjacent cell.

--

Dave Peterson