Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default messy text file-- how to automate import?

I have a situation where I am getting reports (RTF
format) on a regular basis. These reports are formatted
in such a way that I have not been able to find a way to
convert them into delimited files and maintain the
integrity of the data.

I know this sounds odd, but they are formatted with
labels for the data running both horizontally and
vertically, use of columns is not consistent.

Each report is one page and they are identical in
format. From each report I need only two items, the
account name and a number all the other data on the page
is trash as far as I am concerned.

There are many reports, each a page in the same RTF
file. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a
way to automate the extraction of this simple data.

I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

Any ideas out there?

TIA,

Yum
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Can you email me a sample of the file, maybe I can come up with
something. )

zantor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks! Will do.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:22:39 -0700, "new_user"
wrote:

[...]

If the reports are truly consistant, it's pretty easy to import them
into Word and then run a macro to extract just the information that
you need. It may be possible to do the macro in excel, but I'm more
familiar with VBA in Word and have done similar extractions for
several different documents.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid