Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Create a background VBA Timer

I am trying to create a process in an Excel-based solution
that can perpetually check a network directory for changes
while not preventing Excel from remaining functional. All
of the timer functions I'm aware of seem to prevent the
user from interacting with the app while the timer is
running. Does anyone know of something that can help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Walt,

There's a timer running in the background all the time windows, or any other
application is running.
Its the windows system clock!!!

Set a variable to Time
MyStartTime = Time
If your looking for a 5 min delay

Do while MyStartTime Time -"00:05:00"
'"Hours(00 - 24):Mins(00 - 60):Seconds (00 - 60)"
'Don't use "=" as, if the progam is doing something else, the event may get
missed.
'you can put "thing to do whilst your waiting" here.
'doodle, twiddle your thumbs, scratch your head,
'make a cup of coffee, tea etc.,etc

Loop

'Time's up

HTH
Henry

"Walt Boraczek" wrote in message
I am trying to create a process in an Excel-based solution
that can perpetually check a network directory for changes
while not preventing Excel from remaining functional. All
of the timer functions I'm aware of seem to prevent the
user from interacting with the app while the timer is
running. Does anyone know of something that can help?

how to create a timer in excel Haych Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 June 30th 09 09:51 AM
How to create a countdown timer in a worksheet Fred Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 23rd 07 10:50 AM
Timer Vijay Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 6th 07 11:00 AM
how do create background of page no. suraj deep New Users to Excel 2 January 13th 07 05:12 PM
Stopping a Timer / Running a timer simultaneously on Excel Paul23 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 March 10th 06 12:08 PM