Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel running really slow on my machine

I am running a 450 MHZ P2 machine with 384 MB memory and XP Pro. I
have a large spreadsheet that takes nearly two minutes to recalculate
when I switch tabs. I was running Excel 2000 SP3.

My friend is running a 600 MHZ P2 machine with 256 MB memory and XP
Pro. Using the spreadsheet that I mailed him, he can do the same task
in 20 seconds or less. He is running Excel 2000, native installation.

I found something about updating the registry with a "CHARLOTTE" entry
if you had SP3 on Excel. I tried that, same response time. I
removed/reinstalled Office; same response time. I verified that the
Excel was a clean install.

I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps next to
SP3.

Tony
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tony,

There is a list of many of the things that can slow down Excel on my
bottlenecks page at
http://www.DecisionModels.com/optspeedd.htm

hth
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
The Excel Calculation Site
www.DecisionModels.com

"tommy bobit" wrote in message
I am running a 450 MHZ P2 machine with 384 MB memory and XP Pro. I
have a large spreadsheet that takes nearly two minutes to recalculate
when I switch tabs. I was running Excel 2000 SP3.

My friend is running a 600 MHZ P2 machine with 256 MB memory and XP
Pro. Using the spreadsheet that I mailed him, he can do the same task
in 20 seconds or less. He is running Excel 2000, native installation.

I found something about updating the registry with a "CHARLOTTE" entry
if you had SP3 on Excel. I tried that, same response time. I
removed/reinstalled Office; same response time. I verified that the
Excel was a clean install.

I applied SP1; same response time. There is no SP2. It jumps next to
SP3.

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charles,

I checked the list of tips. Unforutnately, I had already done most of
them and the others were already as suggested. No improvement.

I have kept your email address and will let you know what the fix is
(if I ever find it).

Tony

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:17:23 +0100, "Charles Williams"
wrote:

Hi Tony,

There is a list of many of the things that can slow down Excel on my
bottlenecks page at
http://www.DecisionModels.com/optspeedd.htm

hth
Charles