Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Duplicate Subroutines

I'm using Excel 2002 and by mistake I copied a VBA
subroutine and did not rename the copy.

When I open the Workbook the hour glass goes around and
around. And doesn't allow me to edit my macros and change
the name of this duplicate subroutine.

How can I get the hour glass to stop so I can change the
name?

I tried using Alt/Control/Delete to stop the task, but it
stops it and closes out the Workbook.

All suggestions are welcome!!

/ Gary E.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you not getting the prompt to Enable/Disable Macros? Is it freezing
before that prompt?

If you are getting the prompt you can click Disable, then go in and change
the name (and save).

--
__________________
Robert Rosenberg

"Gary Elsner" wrote in message

I'm using Excel 2002 and by mistake I copied a VBA
subroutine and did not rename the copy.

When I open the Workbook the hour glass goes around and
around. And doesn't allow me to edit my macros and change
the name of this duplicate subroutine.

How can I get the hour glass to stop so I can change the
name?

I tried using Alt/Control/Delete to stop the task, but it
stops it and closes out the Workbook.

All suggestions are welcome!!

/ Gary E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gary

Disable the macro before/when opening the workbook. Either set security to High (Tools
Macro Security menu) or simply hold SHIFT button down while you open the file.

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"Gary Elsner" wrote in message

I'm using Excel 2002 and by mistake I copied a VBA
subroutine and did not rename the copy.

When I open the Workbook the hour glass goes around and
around. And doesn't allow me to edit my macros and change
the name of this duplicate subroutine.

How can I get the hour glass to stop so I can change the
name?

I tried using Alt/Control/Delete to stop the task, but it
stops it and closes out the Workbook.

All suggestions are welcome!!

/ Gary E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Harald,

Setting the Security to High, let me open the macro
without the hour glass going around.

But, it won't let me edit any of the macros. So I can't
change the name of the duplicate subroutine.

What do you suggest?

/ Gary E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Robert,

I'm not getting a prompt. When I open the Workbook, it
opens with the hour glass going around.

/ Gary E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Open Excel, under tools/macros set the security level to high. this forces
excel to prompt you if macros are present. Opent the offending book,
selecting the do not enable choice. edit the sub name s& re-save.

two rules usually help: (1) always have Option Explicit at the top of a
module and (2) save then debug/compile before you run

--
Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP
"Gary Elsner" wrote in message
Robert,

I'm not getting a prompt. When I open the Workbook, it
opens with the hour glass going around.

/ Gary E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Gary Elsner" wrote in message

Setting the Security to High, (...) won't let me edit any of the macros.

Oops. Right

What do you suggest?

Quote myself: "or simply hold SHIFT button down"

--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

Followup to newsgroup only please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A BIG thanks to everyone. With your help I was able to
get going again!

I got the hour glass to stop going around and then still
couldn't edit the macros because I was using the
Tools/Macr approach to viewing them. Instead I clicked on
the icon for the VBA editor and that did it!

Thanks again, I appreciate the great help.

/ Gary E.