Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel only runs in Safe Mode.

For some unknown reason I cannot get Excel to run in normal mode. When I try the Excel Logo comes up and after that nothing happens, I cannot even get Ctrl + Alt + Del to work, I have to push the reset button on my machine. I'm running Win98 SE (all patches) Office 2002 (all patches) I have run Detect and Repair no change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled no change. When I start up in the Safe Mode, a window pops up telling me that "Excel has detected that you have recovered files. these files will be opened the next time you start Excel in normal mode." When I click on Help and About, and go to disabled items, there are none. Any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think I may have stumbled on the answer. I renamed the .xlb file I found in my ApplicationsData\Microsoft\Excel Folder and everything now seems to work. Now, if I could only remember how to start excel without opening a blank workbook.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

"Michael Koerner" wrote in message ...
For some unknown reason I cannot get Excel to run in normal mode. When I try the Excel Logo comes up and after that nothing happens, I cannot even get Ctrl + Alt + Del to work, I have to push the reset button on my machine. I'm running Win98 SE (all patches) Office 2002 (all patches) I have run Detect and Repair no change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled no change. When I start up in the Safe Mode, a window pops up telling me that "Excel has detected that you have recovered files. these files will be opened the next time you start Excel in normal mode." When I click on Help and About, and go to disabled items, there are none. Any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Michael:

Something like (depending on your Excel version and location):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" /e

Regards,

Vasant.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Add this to the end of your shortcut that starts excel: /e (spacebar-slash-e)

mine would look like:

C:\msoffice\Office10\EXCEL.EXE /e
or
"C:\msoffice\Office10\EXCEL.EXE" /e
(if the path had spaces)

Michael Koerner wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Michael Koerner,

On Windows folder try one or two of this:
- Look for Excel10.xlb file and remove or delete it;
- Look for XLSTART folder and remove all files on it.

HTH

---
Orlando Magalhães Filho

(So that you get best and rapid solution and all may benefit from the
discussion, please reply within the newsgroup, not in email)

"Michael Koerner" escreveu na mensagem
For some unknown reason I cannot get Excel to run in normal mode. When I try
the Excel Logo comes up and after that nothing happens, I cannot even get
Ctrl + Alt + Del to work, I have to push the reset button on my machine. I'm
running Win98 SE (all patches) Office 2002 (all patches) I have run Detect
and Repair no change. I have uninstalled and reinstalled no change. When I
start up in the Safe Mode, a window pops up telling me that "Excel has
detected that you have recovered files. these files will be opened the next
time you start Excel in normal mode." When I click on Help and About, and go
to disabled items, there are none. Any thought or suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.
--

Regards
Michael Koerner