Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default transpose/rearrange data

I have an excel spreadsheet representing data of customers. The current
layout lists all the information vertically, with the descriptor in column
A, and the relative info in column B. Here is a sample of the data
currently in the spreadsheet:
Column A / Column B
Row 1 Name: / Steve Jones
Row 2 Job Title: / Owner
Row 3 Company: / Acme Sprockets
Row 4 Telephone: / 555-1212
Row 5 Name: / Joe Black
Row 6 Job Title: / Sales
Row 7 Telephone: / 555-1313
Row 8 Name: / Jane Doe
Row 9 Telephone: / 555-1414
etc....

There are 7 possible descriptors, and for those customers whose info is not
provided relative to a descriptor, has been left out, leaving some disparity
in the data.

What I need to do is transpose the data into a standard layout, whereas the
customers are listed row by row, and the descriptors are moved horizontally
as column headers. I have no clue how to proceed. At my disposal is SQL
Server 2000 and ColdFusion, where maybe this data could be imported, but
again, I don't know how to proceed. I would like the data to look something
like this:

Column A / Column B / Column C / Column D
Row 1 Name / Job Title / Company / Telephone
Row 2 Steve Jones / Owner / Acme Sprockets / 555-1212
Row 3 Joe Black / Sales / <blank / 555-1313
Row 4 Jane Doe / <blank / <blank / 555-1414

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GolfErik,

If the data is in Excel, why don't you just:

Select all of the data,
Copy it
Paste Special (on a new sheet) and check off Transpose

Dan E

"GolfErik" <e h u f f m a n @ t r e n d l i n e m a r k e t i n g . c o m wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Transposing the data will just change the data from having 2 columns and x
number of rows to 2 rows and x number of columns. This defeats having each
customer's data being in one row for each customer. If i were to do a basic
transpose, the data would look like:
Column A / Column B / Column C / Column D / Column E / Column
F / Column G / Column H / Column I
Row 1 Name / Job Title / Company / Telephone / Name / Job Title /
Telephone / Name / Telephone
Row 2 Steve Jones / Owner / Acme Sprockets / 555-1212 / Joe Black /
Sales / 555-1313 / Jane Doe / 555-1414.

Due to the disparity of the data, and having the need for the data to line
up with the proper descriptor, I am need of importing the data or using a
macro to place the data.