Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pass Strings 255 Char

So here's the deal.

I have two workbooks, one is the master workbook and the other is a
linked copy. So when the master workbook is changed, the other gets
automatically updated. Well this works fine and dandy except that some
cells in the master workbook contains strings more than 255 characters.
So when the linked workbook (containg the function (=CLEAN("the cell
from master workbook)) tries to extract that string, it ends up
truncating the characters 255. Is there any way to get around this?
Any input is much appreciated.

Cheers,

IronHell
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

The following Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes the limitation you
are experiencing, and offers some Visual Basic for Applications code
examples to work around the string length limitation:

213841 XL: Passed Strings Longer Than 255 Characters Are Truncated
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213841

Hope this helps!
--
Tom Moore [MSFT]

"IronHell" wrote in message
So here's the deal.

I have two workbooks, one is the master workbook and the other is a
linked copy. So when the master workbook is changed, the other gets
automatically updated. Well this works fine and dandy except that some
cells in the master workbook contains strings more than 255 characters.
So when the linked workbook (containg the function (=CLEAN("the cell
from master workbook)) tries to extract that string, it ends up
truncating the characters 255. Is there any way to get around this?
Any input is much appreciated.

Cheers,

IronHell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Yeah, I took a look at it before posting to this forum. I tried
the technique but they do not solve the problem. I think the problem
lies in the fact that the master workbook is closed. In any case, each
of the technique I tried still only recognizes the passed string as
having ONLY 255 characters...

There HAS to be a way around this. Thanks for the post though!

IronHell