Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default function to compute average without zeros

I am not a programmer but need to write a formula that
will compute an average from a column but without the
zeros.
Or I need the zeros to become an empty cell through a
formula.
I have been researching this for hours and have come up
blank.
Thanks for all help
Sherie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If your cells' results are produced by formulas

=if(formlua=0,"",formula)

then just use the average formula.

Tom Ogilvy

Sherie wrote in message
I am not a programmer but need to write a formula that
will compute an average from a column but without the
zeros.
Or I need the zeros to become an empty cell through a
formula.
I have been researching this for hours and have come up
blank.
Thanks for all help
Sherie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sherie,

You could try this (assuming your data is in the range
E5:E14):

=AVERAGE(IF(E5:E14<0,E5:E14))

This formula is array-entered (ctrl-shift-enter)

hth,
Ryan

I am not a programmer but need to write a formula that
will compute an average from a column but without the
zeros.
Or I need the zeros to become an empty cell through a
formula.
I have been researching this for hours and have come up
blank.
Thanks for all help
Sherie
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sherie,

With numbers in cells A1 through A6 with some cells containing zeros,
this formula should give you what you want:

=SUM(A1:A6)/COUNTIF(A1:A6,"<0")

Paul

"Ryan Poth" wrote in message ...
Sherie,

You could try this (assuming your data is in the range
E5:E14):

=AVERAGE(IF(E5:E14<0,E5:E14))

This formula is array-entered (ctrl-shift-enter)

hth,
Ryan

I am not a programmer but need to write a formula that
will compute an average from a column but without the
zeros.
Or I need the zeros to become an empty cell through a
formula.
I have been researching this for hours and have come up
blank.
Thanks for all help
Sherie
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just a caution,
If any of the cells are blank, it will give an unexpected answer.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

om...