Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pivot Table undocumented error

Hello all:

Have used simple Pivot Tables for years, never before got

"Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there
are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row
or column field off the the Pivot Table, or to the page
position. Alternately, right click a field, and then
click Hide or Hide Levels on the shortcut menu."

The source worksheet has 7 fields, 418 records. The
fields a STYLE #; DESCRIPTION; COLORS; SIZES; Qty;
Price; Ttl.

I done other Pivot Tables in exactly the same manner,
with no error. I can remove any field and the pivot table
works as expected.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, but I am well under the limits mentioned in the
article.

Just for fun, I took the worksheet to a machine running
Excel 2002 and the pivot table worked correctly. Could
this be an issue only with Excel 2000?

"David" wrote in message

Hello all:

Have used simple Pivot Tables for years, never before

got

"Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there
are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row
or column field off the the Pivot Table, or to the page
position. Alternately, right click a field, and then
click Hide or Hide Levels on the shortcut menu."

The source worksheet has 7 fields, 418 records. The
fields a STYLE #; DESCRIPTION; COLORS; SIZES; Qty;
Price; Ttl.

I done other Pivot Tables in exactly the same manner,
with no error. I can remove any field and the pivot

table
works as expected.

Any ideas?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I don't know the answer.

My only observation would be that the articles in the MS KB suggest there is
some difference between a pivot table's capacity in XL 2000 and 2002 (though I
can't say I've digested all the details), so this could be a reason why it works
in 2002 and not 2000. You might like to verify that you really are within
the limits. If your 7 fields were displayed as columns and each field had just 5
distinct values this would give over 78,000 combinations which is well beyond
the 32,768 limit in XL 2000.

If this doesn't help, I should try re-posting your question.

Regards,
Rob Rutherford