Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default keeping track of stock moving from one location to another

In this case I don't know where to start.

A shop has 42 different posters, in various quantities, lying flat in a
storeroom on level 2.

Each day someone rolls some of these posters and puts them in mailing tubes.

The rolled posters in the tubes are then taken downstairs to the shop.

So that I don't run out of posters I need to keep track of how many are
lying flat on level 2, how many I rolled today and how many are on the shop
floor.

I'm really stuck so any help at all will be most appreciated indeed.

Thanks,

Tagger.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tagger

One simple, yet powerful way to keep track of the inventory is to record all
transactions in a simple table. Then you can use a Pivot Table to extract just
about any information about your stock. What is upstairs and what is in the
shop, what went where and when etc.
All it takes is beeing consequent and careful when entering the data.

Here is some sample data that you can try in a worksheet with a Pivot Table:

Date Article Loc. Items
14-aug Sunflowers L2 40
14-aug Castle L2 53
14-aug Train L2 62
14-aug Cars L2 14
14-aug Trees L2 30
14-aug Cat L2 44
14-aug Dog L2 34
15-aug Castle L2 -4
15-aug Castle Shop 4
15-aug Cat L2 -3
15-aug Cat Shop 3
15-aug Trees L2 -6
15-aug Trees Shop 6
16-aug Castle Shop -2

The first 7 lines are the starting balance. The following 6 lines are transfers
from level 2 to the shop. The last line is a sale/shipment.

Hope this will give you some ideas.

Anders Silvén

"DL" skrev i meddelandet
In this case I don't know where to start.

A shop has 42 different posters, in various quantities, lying flat in a
storeroom on level 2.

Each day someone rolls some of these posters and puts them in mailing tubes.

The rolled posters in the tubes are then taken downstairs to the shop.

So that I don't run out of posters I need to keep track of how many are
lying flat on level 2, how many I rolled today and how many are on the shop
floor.

I'm really stuck so any help at all will be most appreciated indeed.

Thanks,

Tagger.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

many thanks for your help, I'll try this out and see what happens.

wrote in message
Tagger,

It sounds like you just need a little help with initially setting up your
spreadsheet. Here's an idea that might work in your situation (I'm sure
there are other ways to go about it):

Set up a spreadsheet with the following as columns:

Column A: Date
Column B: # of new posters added to 2nd floor
Column C: # of posters rolled and moved to the 1st floor
Column D: # of posters on 2nd floor at the end of the day
Column E: # of posters mailed (from 1st floor)
Column F: # of rolled posters on the 1st floor at the end of the day

I will explain in arbitrary terms...

Headers will go into rows 1-7, so actual numbers can start in row 9, and

up.

Let's say that cell A9 = 8/27/2003 is your starting date, then for A10,
enter "=A9+1" (without the quotation marks).
If you don't want to include Sundays, then add 2 instead of 1 for the days
that are Sundays, and copy blocks of 7 cells at a time. I've attached an
example that might help.

For column D9, put in the number of posters on the 2nd floor as of the end
of the day (A9).
Then for D10, input the formula "=D9+B10-C10" (w/o "'s)

For column F9, put in the number of rolled posters on the shop floor as of
the end of the day (A9).
Then for F10, input the formula "=F9+C10-E10" (w/o "'s)

Copy the D and F formulas down. Inputs will go into columns B, C, and E.

You should be fine with this model, unless it is too simple. I don't know
if you need to know the sizes of each poster and how much storage space is
available, for example, but please post back if so.

Hope this helps!

Roland

"DL" wrote in message
In this case I don't know where to start.

A shop has 42 different posters, in various quantities, lying flat in a
storeroom on level 2.

Each day someone rolls some of these posters and puts them in mailing

tubes.

The rolled posters in the tubes are then taken downstairs to the shop.

So that I don't run out of posters I need to keep track of how many are
lying flat on level 2, how many I rolled today and how many are on the

shop
floor.

I'm really stuck so any help at all will be most appreciated indeed.

Thanks,

Tagger.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

many thanks for your help. I've never used a pivot table, but I guess now
would be a good time to find out what they are, how they work and why
they're useful. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

"Anders S" wrote in message
Hi Tagger

One simple, yet powerful way to keep track of the inventory is to record

all
transactions in a simple table. Then you can use a Pivot Table to extract

just
about any information about your stock. What is upstairs and what is in

the
shop, what went where and when etc.
All it takes is beeing consequent and careful when entering the data.

Here is some sample data that you can try in a worksheet with a Pivot

Table:

Date Article Loc. Items

"DL" skrev i meddelandet
In this case I don't know where to start.

A shop has 42 different posters, in various quantities, lying flat in a
storeroom on level 2.

Each day someone rolls some of these posters and puts them in mailing

tubes.

The rolled posters in the tubes are then taken downstairs to the shop.

So that I don't run out of posters I need to keep track of how many are
lying flat on level 2, how many I rolled today and how many are on the

shop
floor.

I'm really stuck so any help at all will be most appreciated indeed.

Thanks,

Tagger.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just another note of thanks.

I've starting using this and it works wonderfully well.

Thanks very much for your help.

tegger