Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RS-232

I have a barcode scanner that has RS-232 output and I want
to put the barcode data into an excel spreadsheet. How can
I get the information to the spreadsheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron,
Select a cell and scan, it should be the same as typing. Do you have the
software and is the software installed.

Information of all kinds on bar codes at Russ Adam's pages
this is just one of the pages
BarCode1 FAQ Page
http://www.barcode-1.net/pub/russadam/faq.html
---
HTH,

"Ron Greer" wrote in message ...
I have a barcode scanner that has RS-232 output and I want
to put the barcode data into an excel spreadsheet. How can
I get the information to the spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What do you normally put it into?

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:03:55 -0700, "Ron Greer"
wrote:

I have a barcode scanner that has RS-232 output and I want
to put the barcode data into an excel spreadsheet. How can
I get the information to the spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a spreadsheet already to accept the data from the
barcode scanner. I have used a scanner that has a keyboard
wedge and the info is enter just where I want it, but this
new scanner plugs into the serial port (RS-232) and when I
scan a barcode with this scanner nothing happens. I assume
that you have to tell excel to get the info from the
serial port not the keyboard. That is my question. How do
I tell excel to retrieve the data from the serial port (RS-
232) instead of a keyboard entry? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Usually the manufacturer of the Scanner supplies software that
has a recognizable event that occurs when something is swiped.

For instance, there will be an event that fires off and automatically
sends the data to a memory resident program. That program then
is either coded to send the information to somewhere else, archive
the information in some manner ( to a database preferably ), send
it via email to some email address, or do whatever is popular at the
time.

Look at the software that came with scanner in question and look
for something that indicates it's firing off an event, or look for some
way to program it to send the information to a particular program,
database or whatever.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com

wrote:

I have a barcode scanner that has RS-232 output and I

want
to put the barcode data into an excel spreadsheet. How

can
I get the information to the spreadsheet?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need a software package that is designed to input the data and
feed it to the spreadsheet. An excellent tool for the job is a product
called BC-Wedge from TALtech. For more information and to download a
demo version of BC-Wedge, please visit:
http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/p...s/bcwedge.html