Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default A couple of questions

In no particular order:

Just what does 'Hidden" do for a cell? Try as I might, locked, unlocked,
with formula, without formula, etc.I fail to see any difference whatsoever
in the behavior of a cell that is marked "Hidden" and one that is not. If
one could actually hide the contents of a cell without messing around with
the cell format it would be a Good Thing.

How does one reduce what Excel thinks is the size of a sheet? Assume that a
new sheet is created. Do the following:

With Sheets("mysheet")
.Cells.Delete Shift:=xlUp
.Columns(1).Formula = "=other_sheet!$A1"
.Cells.Delete Shift:=xlUp
End With

The first .Cell.Delete happens in a timely manner. The second and any
subsequent .Cells.Delete takes forever. It would seem that setting an entire
column irrevocably increases Excel's opinion of the size of the sheet to the
maximum. Or is something else happening here? If the size is being increased
as I suspect, how to get it back to some reasonable effective size?

--
Terry

"I said I never had much use for one,
I never said I didn't know how to use one."
M. Quigley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Terry.

The hidden property of a cell has the effect that the FORMULA of a cell
cannot be seen on the formula bar.

BUT

like the locked propert it's only "IN EFFECT" when the sheet is
protected.

keepITcool

"Terry von Gease" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Terry von Gease" wrote:

In no particular order:

Just what does 'Hidden" do for a cell? Try as I might, locked,
unlocked, with formula, without formula, etc.I fail to see any
difference whatsoever in the behavior of a cell that is marked
"Hidden" and one that is not. If one could actually hide the contents
of a cell without messing around with the cell format it would be a
Good Thing.

Ah, thus if ...

1. a cell has a formula AND
2. it is marked as both locked and hidden AND
3. the sheet is protected AND
4. locked cells are allowed to be selected

Then and only then the actual formula in the cell is hidden from the eyes of
the hordes of the unwashed.

Thanks for the nudge into enlightenment and now pardon me while I enter this
in the monthly really obscure feature competitions.

--
Terry

"I said I never had much use for one,
I never said I didn't know how to use one."
M. Quigley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Terry,

2. it is marked as both locked and hidden AND

Close, but not quite. The cell does not have to be locked, it need
only be hidden.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Terry von Gease" wrote in message
"keepitcool" wrote in message
Terry.

The hidden property of a cell has the effect that the FORMULA

of a cell
cannot be seen on the formula bar.

BUT

like the locked propert it's only "IN EFFECT" when the sheet

is
protected.

keepITcool

< homepage: