Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Command line parameters to Excel

Hi,

I would be opening an excel spreadsheet from a
powerbuilder application.

Something like this:

excel myexcelsheet.xls thisistheparam

where "thisistheparam" is my parameter. How would I
access the string "thisistheparam" in workbook_open event?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am also interested in finding the answer to this problem

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would LOVE to know how to do this too! Has anyone found a way? ;

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've just briefly tested a horrible kludge using a batch file and an
environment variable.
This is tested on Windows XP only, with the call made from a desktop
shortcut, or from shell within VB5.

I created a 2-line batch file, callXL.bat

set xl_command_line=%2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
%1

I then call the batch file with the workbook path as the first
parameter, followed by any other parameters

(in a shortcut)
C:\callXL.bat "C:\SJGtest.xls" hello world

(or from VB)
Shell "C:\callXL.bat ""C:\SJGtest.xls"" hello world"

and, in the workbook, it is retrieved using:

Private Sub Test()
MsgBox Environ("xl_command_line")
End Sub

riveaira < wrote:
I would LOVE to know how to do this too! Has anyone found a way? ;)

---