Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Limit character input

Kelly,

Try playing with data validation - you can add/change the validation through
code, and you can have either an in-cell drop down that only allows to pick
from a list (Y or N) or you can limit the entry to number (decimal or whole)
and you can limit the range of input (from 0 to 999, to keep it only three
digits). it will also allow error messages if the wrong info is entered.

Other than that, the only other method I can think of to limit the data
entry into a cell would be to use a worksheet_onchange or _onSelectionChange
event to either check the cell after the data has been changed or to pop up
an input box when the cell in question is selected. But data validation
should be simpler to implement, and using the onchange / onselection change
events are basically only going to mimic the data validation.

Mike

________________
Please reply to newsgroup so everyone can benefit.
Email address is not valid (see sparkingwire.com)
________________

"Kelly" wrote in message
Hi all using the Office 2000 package.

Considering how far you all have helped me come I don't
feel this should be too hard. I am looking for options to
set up specific cells to only allow entry of specific
characters.

One set of cells I only want to allow numbers. They could
be dollars or just three digits indicating mileage.

The other set of cells I want to limit to either a Y or an
N.

I thought of a dropdown box for this but there could be 50
or 75 lines and it would need to be added for each line
thus again increasing the size of my template. It's
already close to 300k and it's seems to take longer and
longer to print as it gets bigger and bigger.

I think I would prefer that an error message to pop up if
the user attempted to enter in something other then the
specified format.

Whatever I choose to use would have to be able to be
replicated by code or copy of format as I use a command
button to add additional expense lines if needed.

Thanks every-one. Any if anyone one is interested in an
expense statement with some pretty cool functionality let
me know I would be happy to share it.

Kelly