Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Move or Copy file

More specifically, write permissions to that directory.

Tom Ogilvy

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at the users' write permissions to that drive.

Tom Ogilvy

"Michael Bond" wrote in message
Hi everyone.

My problem....

I create a template file on a network directory. All users
have read and write access to the directory. Users are
required to enter data on the file. The file contains a
button with code intended to save it back into the same
directory using the contents of a completed cell as the
new file name. The code was created in Excel 2000.

When some users click the button the code behaves exactly
as expected.
When other users click the button it creates two files in
the directory. One named as expected and the second named
randomly with no file extension (the name looks a bit like
the "restore" files you get when Excel crashes during
operation)
And finally a third group of users get only the randomly
named file.

The code itself is not in any way complex :

Dim NewName as String
NewName = cells(1,2)
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:="S:\NameDirectory" &
NewName

We've looked at users configurations. True to say they are
all using different Op systems (NT4, Win 2000, Office2000,
Office97 in any combination.). Some are PowerUsers some
are not.....but we have failed to find a common cause. One
PowerUser with Win2000 SP3 and Office2000 SP2 works and
another with exact same spec does not.

First question....has anyone had a similar problem...

Second question...if I changed code to save to the users
local drive can anyone help with code to move/copy it from
there to the network directory....(we've tested and all
can save as required on to their local drive....so my
thought is this will be a reasonable work-around). At the
moment our guess is that it has something to do with the
users access rights but we are struggling to find the
problem so I need a quick fix while we investigate
further.....there are over 40 different users!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hope I have provided enough info to explain the problem

Thanks and regards

Michael Bond

Other users create