Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default averages

I am trying to find the averages of a certain range. I
have a spreadsheet that takes information from other
sheets and copy and pastes a column to my summary page. I
need to find the averages of the information on the
summary page. The only problem is that the range of
information changes. It always has the same number of
rows, but the number of columns change. Each column is for
a different company, and there are not always the same
number of companies. So, how do I write a macro that will
find out how many columns it needs to find the average for.

Thanks,
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

David,
Try this for size:
Lets say that we can expect up to 26 fields to be
populated with data and up to 100 records. Say we paste
the data into range A1:Z100. We can read the average of
all of the data in cell A101 simply with =average
(A1:Z100). This will give the correct average for the
entire data set even if there is only 1 field
populated. ...If I have misunderstood the problem, please
clarify
David
I am trying to find the averages of a certain range. I
have a spreadsheet that takes information from other
sheets and copy and pastes a column to my summary page.

need to find the averages of the information on the
summary page. The only problem is that the range of
information changes. It always has the same number of
rows, but the number of columns change. Each column is

for
a different company, and there are not always the same
number of companies. So, how do I write a macro that

will
find out how many columns it needs to find the average

for.

Thanks,
David
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am sorry I didn't explain very well. I need to find the
average of the rows. There is always the same number of
rows, but the number of columns changes. So, I need the
macro to be able to find out how many columns and then put
the averages at the end of each row. If you can help that
would be great.
Thanks,
David

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

David,

Try this, changing the fixed rows and column to suit.
I trust the variable names used are reasonably self-explanatory.

Sub RowAverage()
Dim HdrRow, DataRow1, DataRowLast, FirstDataCol
Dim EndCol, TotRows, Fma, FmaRow

'Change these to suit
HdrRow = 1: FirstDataCol = 3' (C)
DataRow1 = 2: DataRowLast = 10

EndCol = Cells(HdrRow, FirstDataCol).End(xlToRight).Column
TotRows = DataRowLast - DataRow1 + 1
Fma = "=Average(r[-" & TotRows & "]C:R[-1]C)"
FmaRow = DataRowLast + 1
Range(Cells(FmaRow, FirstDataCol), Cells(FmaRow, EndCol)) = Fma
End Sub

regards,
Don Lloyd