Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Working with mac addresses in Excel

Hello group,

I work mostly with mac addresses in spreadsheets and have come across a
formatting problem that I just can't figure out.

I receive text files with a list of hundreds of mac address in them in the
xxxx.xxxx.xxxx format. I have a VBA script that imports the file into a
spreadsheet, cleans up leading and trailing text adjusts column widths and
saves it as a .csv file.
Everything was working fine until someone needed this report with the mac
addresses in the xxxxxxxxxxxx format. I tried find and replace the "." with
"" which works in most cases except for mac addresses that start with
000x.xxxx.xxxx or addresses that have an "e" towards the end,
1234.5678.91e8. Excel turns this into a Scientific notation entry.
I import the text file data as text but when Excel removes the "." it seems
to ignore this formatting.
Any help on this would be great,

Thanks
Jim