Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Function to Find Last Non-Null Entry in a Column

I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction w/respect
to a function that can be used within a cell to indicate that I want
to capture the value of the very last non-null entry in a particular
column range.

In my situation, I have an Excel worksheet that has a column (let's
say column "B") containing dates. Users will update this spreadsheet
each day of the week and will add an additional row to the spreadsheet
from day-to-day. Basically, they're just going to be adding the
current day's date in one cell, and a corresponding value in another
cell in the same row.

I'd like to implement a function in a cell in the workbook that
basically says to look at all of the entries in column "B" in the
worksheet, locate the very last (or bottom-most) non-null entry in the
column/range, and give me either the appropriate date in that cell or
the associated value present in an adjoining cell.

I've researched the INDEX keyword, the MAX keyword, the MATCH keyword,
and several other combinations of keywords and haven't turned up a
solution as of yet.

I think I've seen specific examples posted in the past for what I'm
trying to do, but I can't seem to locate any of those examples this
evening.

Any pointings in the right direction (and/or examples!) are greatly
appreciated if anyone else out there has had to implement this
identical functionality in the past.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Brad H. McCollum

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=INDEX(B:B,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,B:B))

format the cell with the formula as a date.

to get the value in column C

=INDEX(C:C,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,B:B))

Tom Ogilvy

om...